I Forge Iron

nc tool wisper momma forge

horseshoezach

hey all im new here and was wondering if i can run my forge from the same tank as my propane fire place ?? im having my 500 gallon tank installed friday and i have already ran 3/4" iron pipe from the tank location to the fireplace and into the shop where my forge is but now im wondering if the will be enough psi to run the forge ?? 

Hello and welcome.

As far as I know you should be able to make that work. I've seen forges like that run off 100 lb'ers with no issues.

Do yourself a favor and add your location to your profile so we know where you are at. It helps when guys ask questions about where to find stuff or what organizations might be in your area, Also you might be surprised to find some one here near you. They may invite you over or offer to help you learn. I know at least 4 or 5 guys here that are in my local area, that I've either met at functions or talked to. It wouldn't surprise me if there weren't a few more I'm not aware of off the top of my head.

Tons of great info here. Take some time this holiday season to go thru some of the older posts and you'll probably find all sorts of answers to problems you haven't thought of yet, or projects that you can do with your new forge.

Welcome aboard, glad to have you.

You may have to "T" off the line for the shop, regulators intended for ranges and furnaces/boilers, etc. run on much less psi than most forges, especially naturally aspirated forge burners. If I recall correctly the Whisper forges use naturally aspirated burners so will require somewhere between about 5-15 psi.

Frosty The Lucky.

Welcome aboard, glad to have you.

You may have to "T" off the line for the shop, regulators intended for ranges and furnaces/boilers, etc. run on much less psi than most forges, especially naturally aspirated forge burners. If I recall correctly the Whisper forges use naturally aspirated burners so will require somewhere between about 5-15 psi.

Frosty The Lucky.

t off from the house or the tank ??

We spoke of this in the chat room last night. I will retype it here for others that may have a similar question. 

The tank they install may have a regulated flow to your house that is not sufficient to run a forge with. If you do anything to the lines or fittings you may get in a jam with the company that installs it. There are codes and regulations for this kind of use and it depends on your local rules. I suggested you speak with them when they are putting the tank in and they will either help you gain access or tell you why they or you cannot. 

In any case the smaller bbq size lpg bottles as well as larger portable bottles will run that forge well. 

thanks again rich i have been using the 20 lb bottles for all 3 of my forges i was just looking to tap in to the big tank to do away with trips to refill but i will talk to the gas comp. friday when they set the tank and i will post results on here  i did buy the tank so that way i can get it filled by who ever is cheeper at the time

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings all, not sure if I start a new thread or if I can add to this one, I am new to IFI and blacksmithing. I also own this same forge and I don't think that it is getting hot enough. I don't think that is anyway. I am running it at 15 psi on a 30 lb tank.