I Forge Iron

looking for a first anvil

http://hartford.craigslist.org/tls/4231935774.html

found this within my price range and driving distance, my inexperience scares me with this so I was hoping someone could help. the big scare here is that chunk off the bottom that I'm not sure about. 

any help suggestions would be awesome.

Thanks guys

The first anvil post is probably an English made anvil, maybe a Mousehole.  Hard to tell without markings.  There were over 300 manufactures in England around that era.  It is not in too bad a shape, and less than $2/lb.  The second posting, a beat up Vulcan, forget about.  It would make a good anchor, or tractor weight.

You decision on the first one.  The 'chip' on the bottom was probably there from when it was made, and has not caused a problem in over 100 years.  Don't worry about it.

That first anvil is a gem.  At less than $2/lb, you're getting a good deal on an anvil that looks like it's seen very little use.  165lbs is a very good weight to have as it's not too heavy to move but still heavy enough to do big work.  The pritchel hole looks to be clogged, but doesn't have an impact on using the anvil.  

I'd buy it in a skinny minute.  Probably never be able to identify where it came from, but it would sure be neat to have around.

The second, a Vulcan, has some damaged edges, but that can be worked around.  Most folks would recommend you radius the edges a bit anyhow.  Vulcan doesn't have the best reputation for quality because they had a bad time with it during some of their years in business.  However, they are at the bottom of the list of good anvils..... and a far sight better than railroad track or what you can buy at the tools stores today.

I would use the condition and reputation to try and bring the price down another hundred.... and not fret a second if the seller refused.  The colonial is the better of the two anvils, by far, and making a hot cut isn't that difficult.

That it comes with a hot cut is nice.  That would cost you at least $25 if you were to buy one, more if you were going to make one.