I Forge Iron

help me spend my money

Have about a thousand to spend maybe a tad bit more on a anvil, been looking at the nimba titan anvil and a 200# Emerson, I work on a hundred twenty five pound Fisher now and the size is OK but I've worked on bigger anvils ind like the room . Out of the two which ones would you pick in why is there any other ones at that price range to throw into the mix?

Not sure the 120# Titan is enough bigger than your Fisher (about the same weight, but difference face shape).

I work on a 120# Wilkinson. My plan is to save up until I can get something in the 250# range. My drool list includes Rhino (Incandescent Ironworks), Fontanini, and Nimba. I try not to think about Refflinghaus, but if money were no object...

$1k+ can find you an awfully nice used anvil if you're willing to wait for the right one to come along.

In the last year or so, I've found six anvils between 217# and 362# all in good to great shape and none costing more than $600.

But if you're looking for something right away, then I can see it differently. 

Keep an eye on Ebay too, sometimes shipping isn't as much as you think it would be.

I have seen 500 pounders pass by the Pittsburgh area for less than a grand. Keep your eyes open, and be willing to make a day trip (or even an overnighter) to pick up a big one. If you've got the cash, save it until you can buy as big as you'll ever need. Sure new anvils are grand, but a 500 pounder will make a new anvil seem like chump change.

I'd look for a double horned anvil, It's more versatile than a London pattern, and, it seems, much harder to find in used condition.

what about a new Ridgid Peddinghaus?

something very quickly found, there's a Peddinghaus in as new condition, except the paint:

Or...:

in Europe would be much more easier and cheaper, check this, for example:

it would cost you the shipping more than the anvil, but's a VERY good anvil, big one (180Kg) , good condition...

I own a similar one (101kg - 222lb) and it's my favourite. I also own a Fisher anvil, but I have to force myself to use it and I eventually move on the double horned almost every time. the only one pattern as good as this one (that's my subjective opinion) is the southern german pattern. that also has that nice transition from the round horn to the face.

Contact Josh at xxx-xxx-xxxx.  They have a new double horned anvil, I think about 175#.

Try adding a 3 legged steel anvil stand with a 2" thick or thicker plate and calk the anvil to it.  This will effectively add weight to your anvil and give you a good solid, stable stand that you can get up close to.