I Forge Iron

Hello From SoCal

Mudman

Hey Guys, 

Thought I'd finally take the time to introduce myself. My name is Gary, and I've been wanting to Forge since I was a kid. The art of shaping steel has always fascinated me, and I'm glad to say that a few months ago I finally took the plunge. 

I have been going to a local Blacksmithing guild off and on for a short while and had a lot of fun, but decided to set something up at home. 

At the moment I currently have a Chile Forge Habenero, (2) 40# Propane Tanks, Various hammers and tongs, And 190 lb chunk of Mild steel I use as an anvil. I've been keeping an eye out for anvils and Post leg Vises, no luck so far. 

I look forward to learning from everyone on here!

Here are a few things I've done so far, progress is slow going- but very rewarding. 

Level1staple.jpg

20130427_134633.jpg

IMG_8325.jpg

This is the piece of mild steel I work on.

3step.jpg

Also a piece of RR track that's not finished yet

IMG_8348.jpg

Tongs I've been practicing

Tongs14.jpg

Some random bits

IMG_20130803_181629.jpg

And a Flint Striker from a file I'm currently working on

2da4a84d-9352-4ace-a643-6eab381da71b.jpg

This is the forge

20130803_144207.jpg

Welcome aboard!  always nice to see more people from the area joining up :)

that's a pretty good lookin anvil you acquired, lot of mass and plenty of edges for variable radii.  as for a post vise, keep your nose to craigslist, it took me a few months but eventually I landed a 5" QuikWerk that I am really happy with from a guy in my own town no less!  if you haven't already (im not sure what guild you are referring to) look into the California Blacksmith Association (calsmith.org), im told the new membership year cycles in april, so might be worth waiting til after that to formally join.  Also you have probably seen others recommend Adam's Forge in Griffith Park, LA, you are pretty close by so I would definitely hit them up, great instructors and all the tools you wish you had :ph34r: actually they are running Habaneros now too, so you are already ahead of the game :)

so if you are looking for classes or otherwise time spent with somebody with more experience looking over your shoulder that would be my first recommendation.

Your projects look like they are well executed too so you are on the right path.

do you still use that harbor freight crosspein even though you have a FieryFurnace rounding hammer?

do you still use that harbor freight crosspein even though you have a FieryFurnace rounding hammer?

Thanks!

Yes it took me a lot of time to work on that chunk of steel. I believe I joined Calsmith earlier this year as well as Abana. I've also heard Adam's forge mentioned a few times at the guild, I will certainly look into it. 

I actually don't have a HF crosspein, but do use their 3lb sledge and ballpeins from time to time. Mainly my favorite hammer has been the 2.5# FFF. Also have a 3.5# and 4.7# from them. Brent Baily has made 3 hammers as well, as you can probably guess I have a few hammers.  :D

Howdy from 'bama.  Looks like you've got your feet on the ground.  Spending time with experienced smiths is worth it's wieght in burned steel.  Look forward to seeing your progress!

Thanks! 

I just got one of fiery furnace's hammers too! My wife is sticking it under the Christmas tree though. I also have one of those Chile forges and really like it.
Have patience regarding finding a anvil. It took me a couple years before I got my first good anvil, a Trenton. Now it's no problem finding one with the connections I've made with the CBA.
A little birdy told me that a shipment (5-6 tons)of European anvils, old ones, will hit our shores early next year. I will post when that happens.

Huh, fooled me, that black cross pein in the side-ground of the thrd picture is a carbon copy of my 3lb HF cross pein.

A nice rounding hammer is near the top of my wish list :) either purchased or (preferably) learn to and forge my own

OH! haha you have very good eyes my friend, yes that is a HF CP, but it's actually my friend's- he was using it that day. That's why I was a little confused since I don't have one. 

I plan to forge my own down the road, but right now I just had to have them. Fiery Furnace Forge did an excellent job on my 3. 

The crosspein I do own however is made by Brent Bailey.

A few of the tools I've purchased:

Tools.jpg

I just got one of fiery furnace's hammers too! My wife is sticking it under the Christmas tree though. I also have one of those Chile forges and really like it.
Have patience regarding finding a anvil. It took me a couple years before I got my first good anvil, a Trenton. Now it's no problem finding one with the connections I've made with the CBA.
A little birdy told me that a shipment (5-6 tons)of European anvils, old ones, will hit our shores early next year. I will post when that happens.

Cool! I love FFF work. Bummer you can't use it yet though.

oh yes, keep me posted. I'm trying to resist selling a bunch of things to get a peddinghaus or Nimba. Can't even afford it.

Patience, an anvil will make itself known to you in due time. I'm the meantime, put that awesome stable of tools you already have to use and turn out some products you can sell and put towards your new anvil :)

Working towards that my friend. 

I've been setting aside two days every other week for forging. Time is limited, so I do the best I can. 

Not looking to make a living on this, but it would be awesome to sell things and balance out the cost of materials.