I Forge Iron

"New" Trenton

Picked up my 2nd anvil today down in Rhode Island. $275 sounded very fair to me. The edges are pretty messed up but the face is almost like new.  I was not too worried about the edges anyways though because my Mousehole has decent edges and I can just make up a hardy for anything I would need an edge for. There is only about 1/64" of sag which from what I have seen is pretty darn good for solid wrought type anvils. 128lbs, 1" hardy, 7/16" pritchel. Does anyone have a guess on whats up with the line that runs along at the hardy hole on the shot from under the heel? I made sure it was not a crack or evidence of repair work and it is not from a grinder either. I was thinking something from during the forging process due to the way the line runs in line with the face (if the line was put on an edge, the face would be level) sorry if me trying to describe that last part in confusing, I don't really know how else to clarify what I mean.

-Crazy Ivan

Greetings Ivan,

I love my Trentons..  My largest is 500 lbs  and my smallest is 120 lbs...  The cut below the hardie hole is an attempt to hold a wedge for a lock in style tool.. I have been using that style for years but the cut is not necessary..  A simple angle on the wedge works fine...

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

post-30666-0-45943800-1386937688_thumb.j

post-30666-0-39585900-1386937722_thumb.j

Thanks for the info. I couldn't find any info on here about that style hardy though (maybe I'm just no good at searching). I am picturing it as a hardy with a slot in the shank that would stick out just below the heel where you could drive a wedge to secure the hardy with no wobble. Is that about right?

-Crazy Ivan

Out of curiosity, I figure this is an early model Trenton because the weight was stamped on the side (from what I understand the newer models has it on the feet), Does anyone know about the time/place it was manufactured? Not a big deal to me because I use it regardless, but if anyone has any supplemental information on this anvil I would appreciate it. The only markings I found are pictured above and I think the flat feet are a good clue but came up with nothing after searching this forum about possible date/place. I also searched wikipedia and google but came up with nothing. (on a plus side, this forum gave me more information then the rest of my internet searches!) 

-Crazy Ivan