I Forge Iron

gas forge (bernzomatic torch)

ramm

hi all,

i've been awhile in this forum but this is my first post..
i got a quick question regarding bernzomatic torches.. the other day i went to tools shop and there's JTH7 and the latest product from them TS8000T.. i was wondering which one is hotter than the other.. i'm planning to make a small gas forge, and i'm going to need the torch for that application..

does the gas forge oxidize the steel more than the charcoal forge that causing the steel lose the carbon more quickly than charcoal forge??

thanks
rama

Rama the answer on decarburization is that it depends on how your gas burner is set up. Gas forges had a bad reputation for scaling work because many of the early homebuilt ones did not have a good choke set up---and they can be a bit difficult to set up for aspirated burners.

Most of the new aspirated designs are well set up and you can "dial" the atmosphere from quite oxidizing to very reducing (and producing CO).

A blown gas forge has always been easy to rig a choke on.

If you have a particular job that requires the utmost in reducing oxidation you can do what I do for knife heat treating and line the bottom of the forge with industrial coke---I find mine alonside old RR tracks. The last blade I did didn't seem to oxidize *any* until I took it out of the forge on the way to the quench tank.

pretty much any O2 soak works; but charcoal tends to run through fast and blow out the door when it gets small. I'd want to be sure that your breeze was well coked to make sure you don't get the bubbling coal tar in the forge.

The industrial coke is more like a rock, I use a hot cut to break it up; burns down to more like coarse sand. I use it because getting smithing coal is a pain out this way and so suing the free coke cuts down on coal use...

Another method for gasser or solid fuel forges is a piece of pipe closed off at one end that you put some charcoal in and heat in the forge to make a micro atmosphere area for blade heat treat. Purists will rotate the pipe to get a more even heat especially in a solid fuel forge that usually has a hot spot.

thanks for the replies, and some helpfull info..

i'm making one brick forge or two anyway, so probably the i don't need a big torch for now.. this set up just to get me started.. and probably if i'm quite liking it i would expand to a bigger set up.. and i'm still got my option open for charcoal forge, since i just found out that there's a charcoal supply nearby..

i got this website "hybridburners.com" the models here are quite simple yet sufficient for the job, and it doesnt need the blower.. and somehow there's a burner diagram/plan, so you could make it one by yourself..
however since i dont have enough tools, probably making it is not a good option
have you guys have any experience with it??

forging1 = i'm still willing to buy the torch if you're still selling.. just pm me

thanks for the replies, and some helpfull info..

i'm making one brick forge or two anyway, so probably the i don't need a big torch for now.. this set up just to get me started.. and probably if i'm quite liking it i would expand to a bigger set up.. and i'm still got my option open for charcoal forge, since i just found out that there's a charcoal supply nearby..

i got this website "hybridburners.com" the models here are quite simple yet sufficient for the job, and it doesnt need the blower.. and somehow there's a burner diagram/plan, so you could make it one by yourself..
however since i dont have enough tools, probably making it is not a good option
have you guys have any experience with it??

forging1 = i'm still willing to buy the torch if you're still selling.. just pm me

A charcoal supply? do you mean coal? I have a few venturi blowers, and just finished a charcoal blower, the venturi is really the way to go if you have the time, funding, and energy to get or build one. I love my forge's..

A charcoal supply? do you mean coal? I have a few venturi blowers, and just finished a charcoal blower, the venturi is really the way to go if you have the time, funding, and energy to get or build one. I love my forge's..

Pretty sure he meant charcoal

sorry guys just got the time to post a reply, coz i'm on holiday right now..

thanks Dodge, yes i meant charcoal.. i know it's harder to find, however, since there's a lot of comments regarding the superiority of charcoal ahead of coal, i've been doing the research and found a couple places that sell charcoal..

forging1: i'll be in contact with you as soon as i'm back from holiday (tue/wed)