I Forge Iron

Blacksmith vacancies, Stepney City Farm, and Widdecombe in the Moor

Here is an outstanding opportunity for a blacksmith position, free use of workshop, and paid for sessions too (which takes some beating) for an initial twelve month period.

see here for further details.

http://stepneycityfarm.org/support-us/vacancies/

One for Tom N or Joel ?

There is also an opportunity for someone to purchase the Forge in the centre of Widdecombe in the Moor for £75,000

Freehold premises, believed to be the original village blacksmiths shop.

24'0" x 14'0"

The original hearth is still in place but may need some attention, Loft area for additional storage, 3 windows, two of which offer useful area display onto the square and the entrance passage, believed to have been rewired and with three phase electricity, water is from the village well.

Contact Rendells Newton Abbot, 01626 353881 for more details or to view.

This is in a prime position, with many visitors all the year round to this internationally famous village in Devon, Widdecombe Fair still being held there annually

Hmmm, the Stepney City Farm sounds very promising.

I will get in contact with them and see what the deal is.

Not had a chance to do any forging for some time, as I have been busy training and fundraising for a chairty climb of Mount Kilimanjaro, I am doing in February.

As for the Widdecombe forge...........I suposse I could divorce the wife and live in the forge there. Haha.

Thanks for posting these up John. Great find!

• 2 weeks later...

"There is also an opportunity for someone to purchase the Forge in the centre of Widdecombe in the Moor for £75,000"

​Wow this looks amazing!, I'm a few months from finishing my blacksmithing course at Hereford and was looking for a small forge in rural Devon pref dartmoor so this could be perfect. Thanks for the info i will defo give them a call!

I notice that the forge shares a wall with what looks like a residential house, is there any legislation that would stop you re opening the forge so close to a house? 

"There is also an opportunity for someone to purchase the Forge in the centre of Widdecombe in the Moor for £75,000"

​Wow this looks amazing!, I'm a few months from finishing my blacksmithing course at Hereford and was looking for a small forge in rural Devon pref dartmoor so this could be perfect. Thanks for the info i will defo give them a call!

I notice that the forge shares a wall with what looks like a residential house, is there any legislation that would stop you re opening the forge so close to a house? 

The villagers are looking to have the forge reinstated as a working forge, I think the property next door may be a gift shop, as the whole area is a tourist attraction, I will pm you with a local contact so you can ask what you need of them.

• 1 month later...

After months of organisation, chasing planning officers, and eventually putting my house on the market i am in a position to make an offer. I was very disappointed and perhaps slightly naive when the seller would not take it off the market if they accepted my offer. 
The problem is that it does not have planning permission, so i planned on applying ( aprox 400£ ), but if i couldn’t get it then i would have spent literally everything i have on a property i can’t work in. 
So I asked if they would take it off the market while it get the permission so i don’t run the risk of them selling it while I’m struggling to get the planning permission and already sinking money in to it but they refused.

Anyone have any suggestions? the vendor will not take it off the market as they don’t care who they sell it to - i think its a slightly short sighted view as they own a gift shop next to the forge and I’m sure my smithy would only help to attract more people and would be very in keeping with the character of a little rural village. I also have the feeling that based on the vendors behaviour they would put the price up once i had the planning permission and they had me over a barrel. 

Im just gutted by the thought of them selling this beautiful old forge to another gift shop owner so they can further prostitute this village and rip out the 300 year old hearth.  

Mabe I’m just a bit idealistic and ignorant when it comes to buying property.

We have been in a similar position in the past both in the UK and here in France.

My advice would be to talk to the local planning dept., preferably the chief planning officer, outlining what you want to do and asking them to give you an idea about how they would view a formal proposal - they are normally happy to give you some feedback.  It's easier in France, so long as you are friendly with the maire...;0)

Ultimately how much you want it will dictate the extent of the risk you are prepared to take, which is a personal thing; if it was me and I got a positive verbal response from the planning dept. I would go ahead and negotiate a deal with the vendor, gaining formal approval after the sale goes through, avoiding the risk of the vendor hiking the price post approval.  In parallel I would be finding out who's who in the immediate area and getting them 'onside' regarding your project.  Build the local relationships it will smooth the planning and help your marketing enormously when you have it up and running as a business.  But thats just me, I have never been risk averse and only lost money on classic cars and thankfully not property.

Good luck

The problem is that it does not have planning permission, so i planned on applying ( aprox 400£ ), but if i couldn’t get it then i would have spent literally everything i have on a property i can’t work in. 

Anyone have any suggestions? the vendor will not take it off the market as they don’t care who they sell it to - i think its a slightly short sighted view as they own a gift shop next to the forge and I’m sure my smithy would only help to attract more people and would be very in keeping with the character of a little rural village. I also have the feeling that based on the vendors behaviour they would put the price up once i had the planning permission and they had me over a barrel. 

Im just gutted by the thought of them selling this beautiful old forge to another gift shop owner so they can further prostitute this village and rip out the 300 year old hearth.  

What planning permission is required?

If there is a 300 year old forge hearth in there, and the parish records show it was occupied by blacksmiths, it is merely reverting back to original purpose, what is the current planning allowing, and if not a forge, then why was not planning enforcement implemented to have it removed?

I know locals would like to see it reinstated, have you had dialogue with the contact I gave you ? I am sure he would help

Don't give up now, and keep us informed.

What planning permission is required?

If there is a 300 year old forge hearth in there, and the parish records show it was occupied by blacksmiths, it is merely reverting back to original purpose, what is the current planning allowing, and if not a forge, then why was not planning enforcement implemented to have it removed?

I know locals would like to see it reinstated, have you had dialogue with the contact I gave you ? I am sure he would help

Don't give up now, and keep us informed.

It was originally a forge but the usage was changed about 30 yrs ago to retail, so apparently that means that because its not currently being used as a smithy and no formal application exists stating its use as a smithy it doesn't matter. Crazy i know........

I did follow that contact you gave me at the time, thanks John. From what i can gauge talking to the locals there would be no resistance to it, but i can not be sure. Its an emotive issue having a potentially loud workshop open up in a very small town, although i have committed to working between 9-5 and will not be using a power hammer, there is still potential for someone to decide against it and stop me. 

The problem is that if i forge ahead i may end up with a 70,000 workshop i can't work in, and then have to rent somewhere else anyway, and i just don't have the cash for that, I'm scraping the barrel as it is. 

Thanks tom, I'm hoping that when i get an offer on my house i can call up the vendors and try and bargain with them, if the property is still on the market.

Anyway on a lighter note John i just sent my £20 off to the guild secretary, and i will be permanently in Devon from the summer so i hope to meet you and the rest of the guild some time. 

If you are working as a 'sole trader' you don't need anyone's permission...

A local community can object to planning permission and stop you operating if you are not already established in the location. You can't just set up shop or the local planning department will shut you down especially in a protected area such as Dartmoor where the forge is located. 

A sole trader does not need to apply for planning permission to carry out business activities related to his trade unless it is of a 'restricted' i.e. licenced nature, such as fireworks manufacture. As far as planning permission goes - for non-sole traders - a local community can object to an application but the relevant planning authority need not take notice of that objection in granting permission; although the applicant may well be sensible to do so.

• 3 weeks later...

Well the search continues. I have been out today searching devon for properties with enough isolation and work space to make a good forge. Some potential but nothing that fits the bill yet. Do any of you guys know of somewhere within 1 hr commute of Exeter? alternatively does anyone have some workspace they would be happy to rent out?

Many thanks 

Andy

Andy, have you asked John if the Guild will do a deal for you? It's got the kit, I guess it would welcome the cash and having someone around the site too, but that is a guess... John?

Having someone in there is not an option, it is purely there for the Devon County Show Metalwork feature, and other events and courses we put on, 

Our mandate is to promote blacksmithing, and to develop and keep the traditional skills alive and passing them on. 

One hour commute of Exeter covers from Cornwall to Bristol, all of Devon, some of Somerset, and Dorset depends on what market Andy is aiming for, and capital he has to invest in it. Premium property prices for what he is seeking usually for second homes or holiday lets in the Exeter area especially with the new industies being encouraged into the area.

The Widdecombe forge was the best that's been on offer for many a year. Otherwise small industrial estates in the outlying communities may offer space, some will allow 'smithing type of work, others not. 

You could try looking around some of the more rural places. When I was last looking for somewhere to set my forge up I had lots of good responses when I asked about farm buildings. My last place was in a disused milking parlour on a farm that no longer kept a dairy herd. 

I think you might have had a lucky near-miss by not getting your funds tangled up in the forge in Widdecombe, blackleaforge.

Being in a rather small, very old forge myself, it has more problems than benefits.

Those old forges were mostly for shoeing horses. The one I'm in does not have a single flat surface. Layout for anything bigger than a small garden gate is a nightmare.

Old buildings can be very picturesque, which is why I moved into the forge I'm in. I fell in love with it, it is like something out of a Dutch painting. Unfortunately it is draughty, leaky, difficult to clean, the roof is falling in, the walls are falling out, it is dingy and cramped and there is a hedgehog who comes in and chews the cables. If I'd had the means to buy it, I might have. I'm lucky I didn't. I can't even begin to imagine these disadvantages being compounded by being in a town, with nosey, annoying and complaining neighbours, maybe the council breathing down your neck. I have run a forge in a residential area before. Even with the council on your side, it can be a titanic pain in the bum.

I'd do what Dave Budd suggests.

i can vouch for that :(  My workshop is not only i the middle of nowhere, which is not ideal from a safety perspective (air ambulance territory here), but also my workshop is 200yds from the road and the only access is by tractor through a wet field. Any deliveries have to be in smallish lorries and met at the roadside, so couriers have call me when they get close. Also power is a problem. At least in a farm building there are decent yard spaces, turning spaces, heavy duty mains power etc