I Forge Iron

Boxing kangaroo sequence

andrew your dead right - anything my dogs chase i blame myself for - luckily its not dangerous animals like kangaroos, but there are other dangers like roads and livestock, they are instinctively drawn to this activity and when they have occasionally chased it could have been prevented by me concentrating better, and im not sure about the beating either. will the dog connect that with the chase or not? im not sure. i praise mine when they come back, for coming back, but im sure some would say  thats wrong. if it were me, i wouldnt be so keen to come back if i thought id get a massive hiding! dogs are a big responsibility.. and like you said you cant keep them chained up all day, your never going to have a dog trained 100 percent, so you got to devise ways of avoiding danger on their behalf.  are the kangaroos protected because numbers are decreasing? 

No , the kangaroos are protected because of political reasons . they are a sort of national emblem and the "green" inspired followers are misled by strong lobby groups to believe their numbers are in danger. If you were to do a tally there would be at least a dozen killed each week in my  local shire by cars or trucks running into them . As you head further west you will see a dead roo on the road every 2-3 km . One good aspect of this is a massive boom in the wedgetail eagle population which feeds on the roadkill. There are sub species that are endangered  but people generally leave them alone. I have a 'mob' of about 80 Eastern Grey kangaroo that travel through my 300 acre hobby farm on a daily basis 

• 2 months later...

Andrew,
As a fellow 'scrapologist', I am enjoying looking at your creations. I like the comical nature of the kangaroo. The cam legs look great and you must have an enormous supply of scarifier points. I use them often too. A couple of them welded together make a convincing emu head.
Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Thank you Ausfire. There is an artist down here (Helen Hay ?) that does a fantastic emu with those scarifier tips for the beak . I have a good collection (over 500kg) but am amazed at the new shapes I keep finding . The versatility of these curved shapes is  really outstanding  and I could not do this stuff without them .

Half a tonne of scarifier points!!!! I hesitate to ask how you came by such a huge haul. My guess is that you are in a broad acre farming area or something where these things get worn out. I'm ashamed to say that I desperately needed one for the other half of an emu beak and I had to resort to a new one through mail order!! I have since found a few. I live in an area in the hills where they are not used much, but then again, I have an abundance of mining gear and old hammers and picks etc which make great beaks. Here are a couple of crazy birds with pick beaks:
post-50874-0-69736900-1391498942_thumb.j

Yes Aus lots of cereal farms around me which has made collecting the points a lot easier . I still buy brand new points if I need a size / shape that I have run out of . I found a website over here called " points direct. " not too pricey but freight is the killer. on the outer ring of the peacock I used new plates that permit  'Knock on'  points to be driven on to the bolted plate . I age with fire and rust with zinc chloride. ( must be removed after 1day or its hard to stop rampant rusting)  cheers andrew

Half a tonne of scarifier points!!!! I hesitate to ask how you came by such a huge haul. My guess is that you are in a broad acre farming area or something where these things get worn out. I'm ashamed to say that I desperately needed one for the other half of an emu beak and I had to resort to a new one through mail order!! I have since found a few. I live in an area in the hills where they are not used much, but then again, I have an abundance of mining gear and old hammers and picks etc which make great beaks. Here are a couple of crazy birds with pick beaks:
attachicon.gifcrazybirds.jpg

Ps The birds are great .

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thank you SFDuck. Sorry bout the late reply I just missed your comment. Yes I try for the cmiv book exaggeration . It seems to work in this medium . So it doesn't matter if body parts are not exactly the right size , they just have to be in the correct location in relation to each other. cheers matey!