I Forge Iron

The Skills of A Blacksmith

jimbob

The Skills of a Blacksmith, Vol 1, Mastering the Fundamentals of Blacksmithing

this appears to be a self published book as there is no printing information. you can order it from Mark Asperys web site at Book
I have a number of Blacksmithing books this is the best that I have found He shows how to make a number of projects but before doing so he shows step by step how to make the tools needed to make it.
I highly recommend this

I picked mine up from Blacksmith's Journal at a conference in Illinois. I highly recommend this book. It shows very clear high quality step by step pictures of techniques and projects. I have a lot of blacksmithing books already so it takes something special to get me to buy another one. The series of photographs on hammer swing was great to show my daughter what I was talking about instead of getting the blank stare trying to describe it. I'm waiting on the next book The Skills of a Blacksmith Volume 2 - Joinery and Leafwork.

• 2 weeks later...

I get to take his Leafwork class in Nov. down in Pasadena. I'm really looking forward to that. I took a pattern welding class from him last year that was quite good. I've been around Mark at several hammer-in's and he's a great guy. I'll have to forward a link to this thread so he can see that folks are enjoying the book.

• 1 year later...

Of all the books I have on smithing this is my favorite. What is good about it?
- Clear step by step intructions
- Discussion of the 'why' not just the 'how to'
- Discussion of pitfalls and how to correct some mistakes
- An easy to read style of writing
- Photos, photos, photos
- Did I mention Photos? They are clear with good contrast and relevant
- Material lists for each project
- I good set of tools when I am done with the book
- A sense of excitement waiting for the next book

The Skills of A Blacksmith ~ by Mark Aspery

I am definitely going to buy Mark’s book. The only reason I have not done so to date is due to procrastination on my part.
I have had the privilege of seeing Mark at work. If he is ever in your area, please do yourself a favor and try not to miss a chance to learn from him.

When Mark works, it is with steadfastness, purpose, and his energy is applied with skills groomed from his strict apprenticeship training and years of application.
I firmly believe that Mark has the ability to view the craft of blacksmithing from many different angles. I found that he not only had a superior technical knowledge of blacksmithing skills, but also a broad understanding of the peripheral sub topics of the craft such as the business, people, and circumstance.

As he teaches, he not only teaches the applied skills of blacksmithing, but he also includes design considerations, cost benefit considerations, and some marketing approaches.

In my opinion, weather you are a full time professional, part time business/hobbyist, or hobbyist, you cannot go wrong with what Mark teaches.

Ted Throckmorton

Edited by Ted T