I Forge Iron

South High show

I was at the south high show yesterday as well as Vince and Jim. First show I have done with 3 smiths at the same event. I don't think any of us did as well as we would have liked but the weather getting in was better than I ever remember. Vince and I stopped by Jim's shop afterward, way to organized. I of course was confused as you could see the floor, Vince thinks this is normal.

I was thinking that he thought seeing the floor was normal, likely he thinks my being confused is normal also only he may be to polite to say so. It was a Christmas craft sales show. One of the better ones.

Yeah Vince is a polite guy isn't he. <grin>

We talked about the Christmas show at the meeting didn't we. Were there a lot of displays?

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi fellows My name is Zak and I am VERY new to smithing.  I have a great deal of knowledge and a great deal of humbleness in knowing that I know VERY LITTLE.  I am looking to know when and where you guys get together to practice (is there a better term, I couldn't think of one) so I could learn and share some of my experiences with others.  I am really excited to learn more, but am lacking in supplies and time.  I live in an apartment in Anchorage's south side so doing my work here is a no go, but my mom in Palmer has lent me her garage, so at least I have a place to work from time to time.  I am not interested in weapons or even knives right now, I am interested in learning to make CONSISTANT shapes and to produce work that can be repeated and sold.  I would also love to learn to do repairs as well.

Thank you gentlemen for your kind attention.

Sincerly

Zak Lockman

Welcome aboard Zak, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header we'll stop bugging you.

The next meeting is January 18th. at Pat's, I'll send you directions on the side if you don't hook up with one of the other Anchorage smiths and catch a ride. I'm just the other side of Wasilla and if it isn't too cold you can come out and we'll play with fire and hammers.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 4 weeks later...

Finished my last show of the season. This was the colony Christmas show. Seemed about average. certainly better than when they are way down, but as I am trying to add to my inventory, and skill it still seems like things should go up. Some of our other shows were up this fall so overall I am happy.

Like I mentioned the show was about normal for this show. I had 3 that were better than they had been any time recently. I will be doing one of the wholesale shows in Anc. in Jan. and then the home show in Fairbanks toward the end of March. Last year we did the womens show in Fairbanks in April, did not even make the booth fee, of course there was the cost of the drive and the hotel as well.

Vince has been doing the fur roundy / Ididitarod  show the last couple years, I am not sure if that is his plan again or not. There are a couple shows this weekend but I did not think I would do that well at them so I am sitting them out, I know Vince will not be at them maybe Jim will be but I don't think he will be there either.