I Forge Iron

New treadmill motor linisher build

toolish

I finally cracked it with my old linisher that I made, had too many moving parts, which created too much movement and loss of tracking, One one needed to much repair so I built a new one, used the same base and tracking wheel though.
Scored a treadmill motor from the side of the road with no electrics, Had to wire in a bridge rectifier from Jay Car to change the AC power from the wall to the DC power required. Had way to much power with out turning it down to I used a voltage regulator to put on some resistance to slow the motor right down, currently using a vacuum cleaner controller to do this will have another one coming in the mail soon that should add more resistance.
Gave it a spin on a 5160 blade and it chewed the metal off very quick with a 40 grit belt.
Total cost of this build was $5 for a spring and $20 for the extra electrical components needed.
Hope this help anyone who is thinking about making one, as I couldnt find too much instruction on this type of build.

• 3 weeks later...

was thinking about that but the intake on the motor is on the left away from dust with the little fan blowing it out on the right were dust is. thats the hope anyways. still thinking about adding a platen to it. might have to weld up something bendy

You might want to look into the MC60 treadmill motor controller it's supposed to be a nice controller and can handle 2 hp. they run about $40.00 on ebay.  I add a Treadmill motor to my drill press and it's great for drilling metal I

can run real low speeds with a lot of torque. Have another motor I'm going to use for a 2" belt grinder. Nice build

Thanks for the advice on the controller, I found some random one off the ebay that said it handled a fair bit of current. Used it for a bit now and find after 10 min of grinding the controller is still cool but the regulator bridge gets a little hot. But still good for now, just think i wont sit there grinding for half hour straight. Had about an hour of use so far and I am happy with it, just got to do the platen thing for flatter grinding.