I Forge Iron

hold fast

Kal

For those who like to make wizards and other things out of railroad spikes this jig can come in handy.  It's made by cutting most of one side off a piece of square tubing.  Fold one end over and weld it shut.  Attach a piece of 3/8 square stock to the bottom to hold it in the vise and lock the spike in place.

post-42293-0-79379400-1382619071_thumb.j post-42293-0-22997900-1382619075_thumb.j post-42293-0-32405300-1382619078_thumb.j

Good idea, consider it adopted. My only suggestion is to make the 3/8" end that holds the spike head offset a bit below the channel level so the spike will lay flat.

After a clinic by Gordon Williams I adopted and adapted his holdfast. He welds a piece of strip stock to the foot cross ways so it can be used to hold long stock in the middle or however. It's a SWEET adaptation of a hold fast.

I adapted it a little by curving piece of flat lengthwise slightly so the edge can't mark the work. I also made one that barely reaches past the hardy hole so it can grip a RR spike with the head in the hardy hole for clearance and it'll lay flat.

Thank you for sharing.

Frosty The Lucky.

Okay Dave, I know the rules but a pic is worth a thousand words and you know how talkative I am. <sigh>

This is the wizard head I made at the Gordon Williams clinic, my first.

I realized when I looked closer I ground the corners off the foot on this hold fast so it wouldn't mark the work. Somewhere I have one I drove into a swage with a straight pein to curve the foot.

This is the close hold fast made so it'll hold a spike with the head in the hardy hole or over the edge of the anvil. I found the spike way too bouncy to try carving with the head on the anvils face.

The weld is embarrassing chicken x x x  I know. No excuse.

Frosty The Lucky.

post-975-0-33753000-1382664140_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-73573600-1382664162_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-34822700-1382664189_thumb.jpg

Frosty, I really like your hold-down dog.  I need one to hold fast for marking things, etc. not carving as in your case (nice, by the way).

Gonna make one tomorrow since I have an urgent need for something like that.  Thanks for posting the pics.

This hold fast innovation is from Gordon Williams. I just sharpened the arm so it holds just past the hardy hole and broke the corners on the foot. I made another one that holds in the center of the face so I can really lambaste the work.

Credit where credit's due. Thank Gordon. Make one of his clinics if you have a chance. The guy is a thrumming dynamo, always several things in the fire, always something on the anvil always good explanations, answers and amusing stories.

Frosty The Lucky.