I Forge Iron

Weekend Fun

Daniel S

I got an ultra jig from Yesteryear Forge at Quad State this year.  This past weekend was the first chance that I've had to use it.  It is quite an impressive tool. I also fired up the large forge for the first time.

20131012_163540_zps95cad049.jpg

The first thing I made was some s-hooks and then an s-hook chain, like they had at their booth at Quad State.

20131012_163712_zps4b9588c7.jpg

20131012_172618_zpscad7760d.jpg

Then I made 8 bottle openers, 7 passed QA/QC. I'm sure with a slight rework the last will perform as well.

20131012_185443_zps89b6d21c.jpg

20131014_233401_LLS_zpsf5cc3a98.jpg

20131014_233503_LLS_zps6fc0e693.jpg

To this point I have nothing but great things to say about the ultra jig.  I've only just scratched the surface of what the tool is capable of, but I can see that I will be getting a lot of use out of it in the near future.  Unfortunately 4 of the bottle openers already went to family members, now I will have to think of something else to make them for Christmas.  I'm thinking of matching refrigerator magnets.

I have to give a nod to Thomas Powers, the s-hook chain is recycled election sign frames.

I cut all of the pieces to length, tried to taper them roughly the same, turn the points the same, and the bent them around the same jig. I tried to view it as a manufacturing process, rather than completing each link separately.
Thanks for the comments. Like I said I totally copied it from someone else, so I had an idea of what the end product would look like.

Thank you. I made the chimney for a champion 401 forge. We've since used it on a couple of larger forges. It's no where near perfect, but it keeps the majority of smoke going up and away. It also really helps with heat in the summer. Luckily the far shot hides the wire joinery used to hold it together.