I Forge Iron

Shot put

I was thinking about affixing a stake to a shot put for use in my hardie hole.

I was going to accomplish this via a lead lag with the bolt welded to the stake then screwed into the

(here goes the good part) cement and lead filled iron ball . I have used 12 and 16 lb. shot puts with 14ga. hot rolled with some success. And hammers weighing less than two lbs.? Also used a shot put with the same ga. material in a 12 ton press. Now that I think back... that probably wasn't too bright... even tho I didn't lean on it.

Do any of you have an opinion as to the suitability of a shot put as a forming tool?

Thanks,

Rick

As long as the surface is sufficiently hard enough, it will work wonders.  What you don't want is the dreaded "eggshell" effect popping up where the surface is harder than the interior.  Of course, that's not really relevant if you're working hot iron over it.

The only question is..... do you need that large a radius on your stake tool?  It certainly won't hurt to have it in the arsenal and I wouldn't throw it away.  I have round balls from all over the place as stake tools.  Trailer hitches, crane headache balls, some giant ball-bearing I found....  all different radii and all useful somehow!

If you've got it on hand, weld a shank on it and go to pounding!  Nothing bad can happen unless your a lousy welder!

What size cap is that? Looks pretty nice...

Actually, its on ebay, I don't make/sell them. According to their ad its a 4.5" wide cap,

I have made a bunch of them for my self, getting different round heavy caps or round objects from scrap yards and garage sales,

i do have some round grinder balls that work well but they are only about 3.5" at the largest diameter. I don't think I have any 

perfectly round balls that weigh 16 lbs. I do have a mushroom stake that I use regularly that weighs 130 lbs. I posted some pics of it on IFI a while back. I'll see if I can find the string.

Here's the string with pics-

'?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...