I Forge Iron

Birthday Rose

My wife's birthday is Monday. And due to some unexpected bills that we got hit with recently... she insisted I not buy her anything. Well, today was the first day I have been able to light up my forge in several weeks due to combinations of weather and my bill-paying job. So I made this rose for her. Well, first I made a rough, but functional tenon tool to square up the edge of the tenon I was planning to attach the petals to the stem with and ground an old beat-up pair of pliers into what I am calling my petaling pliers. (Sorry for not taking a pic of them, might do that tomorrow) The pliers are almost like stubby, fat scrolling pliers/tongs... but allow me to grip the edge of the petal better for shaping it (imho).

The petals are made from discs I cut out of a scrap piece of car fender with a holesaw. The stem started as 3/8" round. I used my dremel tool to cut the discs into three basic petal shapes on each. Then made the tenon on the 3/8 round to fit the 1/4" hole the holesaw left in the center of each of the petal sets. put the five petal blanks on it and peened the tenon to hold them on. Heated it up and shaped the petals, then drew the stem down.