I Forge Iron

Best Mag Drill?

Hello Folks,

I am working on a job that I could really use a mag drill on. There a a lot of different brands and even more options. I would use with regular twist drills most of the time and would like to be able to use a tap also. Is there a brand or option to stay away from or a brand or option you wish you would have included up front?

I sure appreciate any advice.

Regards

John Woolsey

I have a Milwaukee with variable speed control (don't remember model number offhand but the mag base and drill motor unit were sold separarately). I like it much better than dewalt and some others i've used. Variable speed much nicer, general quality seems better. As I recall it seems to maintain speed control with varying loads.

Mine is a Milwaukee also. It performs very nicely...unless the material is thin...where there is not enough magnetic holding ability. Although I have never used them others said that Hilti products were always high quality.

Check on annular bits...as they cut holes much more easily. Difficult to resharpen for me though.

Carry on

Milwaukee, works well for our shop. It's heavy but reliable. Variable speed and quite reliable. We end up using it on the layout table for large or awkward pieces that will not fit under the radial drill press. The table supplies the iron mass for the mag base even if the piece being drilled is thin.

If you are going to use any of these mag based rigs offsite in an overhead position off the deck, make sure you have the drill secured with a safety chain in case the power goes out. Remember they are heavy and they can get away from you real easy.

Peter

Milwaukee, works well for our shop. It's heavy but reliable. Variable speed and quite reliable. We end up using it on the layout table for large or awkward pieces that will not fit under the radial drill press. The table supplies the iron mass for the mag base even if the piece being drilled is thin.

If you are going to use any of these mag based rigs offsite in an overhead position off the deck, make sure you have the drill secured with a safety chain in case the power goes out. Remember they are heavy and they can get away from you real easy.

Peter

I use and love the Hilti brand the bits are a bit pricy. However, they are carbide and can be sharpened they have a center guide and cut perfect round holes . I second the safety chain for vertical,and over head drilling as they can ,will,and do lose power when you least expect it .

Sam

The down side of the Milwakee is its big and heavy.    If you are using dril bits to bore 1" holes then big and heavy is what it takes.    I have a big Milwakee and a small (904) Hougen with the drill chuck and for 90% of what I do the Hougen is much easier and better to use.     The Milwakee is a good tool but if you have to dril a bunch of half inch holes at the end of the day moving a 30lb drill around as opposed to a 70lb one is a big deal