I Forge Iron

3 hours brake disc forge, demountable

Der_Hannes

Servus!

I want to widen a blacksmithing network in my near environment, because i like smithing in different workshops. See what's new in their workshop, chat about recent success or failure... new tools and stuff like that.

So i made a friend addict which wasn't into blacksmithing. As he has not the possibility to forge at home because of having not the required tools, we met and did some basic fire tools.

Yesterday we met again to built a brake disc forge so that he can start forging at home immediately.

Only thing i knew before starting was, that it should be demountable because of transport and space and a brake disc was the place to put the fire in.

With planning and building it took 3 hours to achieve that one ( arms and legs were rotating discs ;) )

post-30320-0-39812500-1379262664_thumb.j  post-30320-0-18513400-1379262659_thumb.j  post-30320-0-79275100-1379262655_thumb.j

The whole forge can be dismounted with a 17mm spanner and a hex wrench Nr. 8

i should have taken more time in searching for examples because this the first forge i was building, but i hope it will do it's job.

Function to fit in a small trunk is already there.

I hope the oppurtunity to test the forge will be soon!

Gruß,

Hannes

Nice and neat job, Hannes

One suggestion...you might consider replacing the hex bolts with regular hex head bolts, the kind you work with an end wrence or socket.  Reason I mention that, the hex heads will fill with coal and crud and might be a problem cleaning out.  Also, the high protrusion will be a nuisance when you are moving coal around on the plate.  I used regular hex bolts on my portable brake drum forge and even with the lower profile, I am bumping into them all the time.  Since it's semi-portable, I didn't weld my plate down.

@VaughnT: Thanks!

@arkie: Reason for my bolt choice was -> i had them on hand ;) Same for the tear sheet metal.

first i thought about sink-head bolts and add small welding to lower the profile very much, or just shoot some bolts on the other side, but as they get hot and dirty i sure gonna have to remove them quite often.

Gruß,

Hannes

@VaughnT: Thanks!

@arkie: Reason for my bolt choice was -> i had them on hand ;) Same for the tear sheet metal.

first i thought about sink-head bolts and add small welding to lower the profile very much, or just shoot some bolts on the other side, but as they get hot and dirty i sure gonna have to remove them quite often.

Gruß,

Hannes

Hannes,

We all work with what we have.  Great that you have the resources to build your forge!

BTW, I don't think you will have to change out your bolts very soon/often.  They will usually be covered with coal and won't get very hot; and getting "dirty" will give them some protection.