I Forge Iron

Brazin'

Firegirl,

Here is a bit more information on brazing with pure copper: flash youtube videos (look for Brazing with Copper Wire)

I have some of George Goehl's video's. They are excellent. I'd recommend them to anyone interested in basic artistic metal working...especially copper.

Also check out his forum section for more tips, resources, etc.

I'd be interested in seeing some of your boxes.

Hope that helps,

Pam

FG - If you have some extra copper matl's - - sometimes I cut narrow strips from them to use as filler, If I do not have any boughten rods - then the color match will be right on. Just another possibility for you to use, course I do a lot of tig welding so this works well for me. - JK

Jeremy,

Are you talking about using the narrow scrap strips when brazing with an oxyacetylene torch? If so, do you use flux? Any special type?

Pam

FG - If you have some extra copper matl's - - sometimes I cut narrow strips from them to use as filler, If I do not have any boughten rods - then the color match will be right on. Just another possibility for you to use, course I do a lot of tig welding so this works well for me. - JK

Pam - I've only done this with the tig process - only because I have it available whenever needed - for me having the tig machine makes the torch almost obsolete, besides preheating and such. On a rare occasion one runs out of filler at the wrong time ( with only about a half inch to go) so cutting a small strip to use as a filler works in a pinch. Color match wise with copper this would be the best thing to do although I have cut slivers off a plate of aluminum for rods to finish a job when I've ran out of filler rods at the wrong time. I use the phos-copper any time I need to weld copper though (tig process). When polished the Phos-copper rod gives a very good color match. Otherwise while it patinas by itself the weld will show a little - but under a mirror polish you cannot tell where the weld is. I'll have to try to find a picture of a copper table I made from 4" copper water pipe - the whole table frame was polished to a mirror finish - not sure if I have that on digital though - it's been a long time. - JK