I Forge Iron

I have a client who built a custom wooden door for his cabin in the woods. He is wanting some custom forged hinges and harware. The door weighs just over 100lbs. Does anyone have a reference for determining the size of strap hinge needed? There are alot of places online that tell you how to determine the modern hinges needed but not old strap hinge style.

Any help is appreciated.

I have some 3/16" x 1 1/4" x 21" strap hinges holding my French doors. I used pintles of 3/8" round. They've been on there about 30 years, still working.

Sayings and Cornpone

"The Tower of Babel - it failed because its design gave a sop to every culture while capturing the passion of none."

Rules  of thumb, YMMV.  Strap hinge length should be about 2/3 the width of the door.  Thickness of the hinge stock wrapping around the pintle should be one half the diameter (round up) of the pintle if a butted joint on the hinge, one quarter the diameter + if forge welded.  Width of hinge stock is dictated by weight of door (load) and visual appeal.  

On a 100# door two 3/16 by 1 1/4" strap hinges should be ok if your fit is tight and you can make the proportions look good.