I Forge Iron

Iron Ore in MA

There were large colonial era bog ore deposits between Boston and New Bedford.  There were a series of books published on the subject that focused on the production of iron, steel, and tools in the American colonial and post revolution era published by the Liberty Tool Museum up in Maine.  Buy the books, look at the maps in the books, get in your car, have fun.

Where would I be able to buy ore? iv'e tried looking around and it seems like everyone selling wants to sell in bulk. I did find taconite pellets here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wrist-Rocket-Ammo-Taconite-Iron-Ore-Pellets-5lbs-of-Rounds-/251315659131?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a8394a17b  but that seems kind of cheaty as it looks pretty refined already. Maybe that's a good thing though since you are saying I should go for a a consistent ore grade for the first few times?

NO NO NO NOT TACONITE PELLETS!  They are engineered for blast furnaces and so you will first have to crush them to get a smaller size and then the fluxing built in will give you iron soup---and light on the iron!  The worst run we've done in 15 years was with taconite pellets---had to start consolidating the bloom in the forge using tongs to "nudge" the iron together as the bloom would splash if you tried to hammer it on the anvil!

Now were you searching on magnetite and not ore?  We once bought a bunch of 100 mesh magnetite sold for pollution control purposes that was lovely to use. Of course there was a 400# minimum order and shipping cost more than the stuff; but we split it amongst the bloomery crew and it was quite reasonable per pound.