I Forge Iron

shaping steel

I'm not an expert by any means, bu my experience leads me to balive that it doesn't weeken it. It may work harden and their for induce stress fractures.
I have also experienced a perceived softening, such as a bent nail. Now if this do to the nail tempering do to internal friction heating the metal of some thing else I don't know.
I would cation you about straitening a bent wheel. It can be done, and their are shops that do it. But it should be at least magnafluxed, and balanced having a wheel fail at 75+ would ruin your, or some one else's day.
This said I straitening the outer edge of wheels, and I have beat some truck rims on off road rigs pretty ugly to get them to hold air so I'd wouldnt have to hike out (in AZ and other points west that can be a 100 mile hike)
Best bet is to let a pro do it, if it fails catastrficaly at least you have there insurance to CYA.

Yep.  The amount of weakening is dependent on lots of factors... but bend it enough and it will break... so each bend makes it weaker. Severe bends weaken more than slight bends.  Steel is pretty tough and considerable forming (bending) can be done cold before it gets TOO weak for most applications.  Any steel rim that has been reshaped will be weaker than the same rim was new.  So a very slight bend will likely be repairable with no significant weakening... otherwise it will be wise to replace the rim and avoid the possibility of a tragic accident!

Reason why i asked was that i mannaged to strike a curb while coming around it, with my 53 ft trailer with 44700 in the box, and then bending the rim so that it had bent up to the point of a fist sized "dent" and the repair guys used a 10lb sledge to beat it back into a shape, just wondering if that rim would be legal to go up into British columbia north of the us border?

Heavy steel truck rims will take a fair amount of abuse. I've knocked out smaller dents from rims in the past with no issues. I never hit one bad enough though to flatten a tire though. I'd be leery about something like that on a steering tire, especially with tubeless tires. A tire with a tube wouldn't be as much of an issue since it's doubtful you'd have a catastrophic loss of air if you did have a rim failure. On a rear with duallies, tire loss isn't quite as bad under average conditions.

I don't know what DOT has to say, be it US, Canadian, state or provence.
I'd say your probably road worthy, but if you have an accedent some on is going to blame the rim, and try to hold you liable, your insurance may try to wiggle out of paying and you'll have to resort to suring the repair guys.
If its a company truck, and they're aware of the damage and repair then no problem but if its your truck and trailer I'd replace it (yes 22.5 aluminum rims are spendy) one less thing to wory about.

I am confused, first post is about steel bending, then you say hit a curb, then you mention 110# PSI and Aluminum alloy wheels?

Either way if it got inflated to 110 PSI , and that caused it to bend, how much did that same force weaken that rim in general on other places too?  meaning it is non functional.  not to mention the other safety issues from that stress?

Heavy truck tires get inflated to much higher PSI ratings than typical passenger tires. The tires on My F550 are "low" at around 80 PSI. As far as bending the rims, hit a curb right and it's not hard to beat up the bead on the rim. Hit it hard enough and bend the rim enough and the tire will deflate. I can show you some ugly dents on edges of steel rims from hitting curbs while plowing. Plow and fronts tend to ride over a curb, but the rears don't fare as well.

I think his comment on the alum rims was in response to my comment on not using a damaged rim on the steering wheels of the truck. Loss of a tire on the back, especially with duallies isn't a big deal, but have a catastrophic loss of a steering tire and you are in for an ugly day. Doesn't sound like that is an issue in this case.