I Forge Iron

forge fire pot help

eco redneck

hello guys

so i got that stuff that i bought the other day and i have a few questions about it

the forge has a round pot with the lip bolted onto the bottom of the table is this right it looks like it should sit on the top of it

also i got a blower for it a champion 400

but it needs just a little work a general cleaning and over hall there is only two broken parts so far its the little oil door thing any ideas for a new one. also the peace that holds the blower onto the stand any ideas n welding it thanks

eco

post-40486-0-84806100-1377388629_thumb.j

post-40486-0-34061000-1377388834_thumb.j

post-40486-0-46930000-1377389023_thumb.j

post-40486-0-70115700-1377389186_thumb.j

post-40486-0-48898400-1377389715_thumb.j

post-40486-0-49156700-1377389868_thumb.j

The firepot is fine where it is.  The "oiler": I just take the top off and lubricate as needed.  You might be able to find a replacement at a steam show or from a tool dealer (who sells to collectors of antique tools) ... if you have those in your area.  I plan on stopping by at two antique tool dealers later today and will look around for an oiler and/or clamp that might fit your blower, but the odds are against finding any today.   For the clamp that attaches a Champion 400 to a stand, sometimes/rarely you find them around, sometimes you can find a second blower with stand that is also broken but can then be combined with the one you have into one working blower with stand.  Otherwise, you could weld a bracket....  if you weld, or forge a clamp-on bracket.  The clamp-on bracket clamps around the round part on the bottom.  If you Google Images for Champion 400 Blowers, you should be able to find examples. 

Here is what the mounting bracket/clamp looks like:

post-2340-0-06402900-1377436220_thumb.jp

Just unscrew the broken oil cup and measure the threads. You can buy a new one from websites like McMaster-Carr, Grainger, MSC, Enco. You might not be able to find that exact spring loaded pull cap, but one with a hinged top will be just fine.

On such a website search "Oil hole cover" or "Oil cup"

Looks like you got a great bit of kit.  The firepot is fine, and it looks to be in great shape. Should last another hundred years or so.

Fabricating a holder for your blower wouldn't be too difficult if you have a piece of pipe the right diameter.  Just cut it in half length-wise to get the clamshell part.

But you could also do something with flat stock using the blower as a mold of sorts.  Of course, an welder is needed.....

Still, lots of options.  You've got a good start on a smithy!

I'd go ahead and put it back to gether and oil it. Then crank it with your hand over the outlet, see if it spins easier and with les noise. Like a hvac blower they are designed to work with back pressure. If it is still noisy or draggs ( doesn't free wheel a turn or two after you let off on it) then go back in and look at the bearings.

I'd go ahead and put it back to gether and oil it. Then crank it with your hand over the outlet, see if it spins easier and with les noise. Like a hvac blower they are designed to work with back pressure. If it is still noisy or draggs ( doesn't free wheel a turn or two after you let off on it) then go back in and look at the bearings.

i think it is the bearings only one side of the shaft makes noise

but i dont know what to do