I Forge Iron

Forging small hammers

Havoc91

Havoc, excellent work!  thank you as well for posting such thorough WIP photos here and in your hot set thread :)

now the questions:

what size/steel did you start with?

final weight of the heads?

would you be so kind as to post a photo of the business end of your (what appears to be) slitting chisel and drift?

photo as well of what you use to fuller behind the face/pein? are you using a hardie/top combo, just one or the other, or a guillotine?

do you have any pic's of the handle without the head attached, or a shot of your wedge layout?

sorry to bomb you with questions, im getting overly excited about forging hammers being just over a month away from a hammer class at the end of September :)

Havoc, excellent work!  thank you as well for posting such thorough WIP photos here and in your hot set thread :)

now the questions:

what size/steel did you start with?

final weight of the heads?

would you be so kind as to post a photo of the business end of your (what appears to be) slitting chisel and drift?

photo as well of what you use to fuller behind the face/pein? are you using a hardie/top combo, just one or the other, or a guillotine?

do you have any pic's of the handle without the head attached, or a shot of your wedge layout?

sorry to bomb you with questions, im getting overly excited about forging hammers being just over a month away from a hammer class at the end of September :)

I started with a 8 cm long and 2 cm thick round piece of W-1 tool steel ,the weight of the heads is aprox 200 grams a piece and for the slitting I used the hot set from the other post ,here are a few pics of the tools I used.

post-44538-0-81611600-1377067818_thumb.j

post-44538-0-32857400-1377067823_thumb.j

post-44538-0-21822800-1377067830_thumb.j

post-44538-0-87038900-1377067836_thumb.j

post-44538-0-24245400-1377067842_thumb.j

ahhh, spring fuller, duh :), *scribbles in note pad*

thanks Havoc!

I picked up some 3/4" 4130 on the cheap from the steel supply shop near where I live for chisels and punches and the like, but iv been contemplating a few smaller hammers from it as well.  haven't been able to get in touch with any oil personnel to scavenge proper sucker rod, so had to get new stock =/

Beautiful work on that little cross pein, it reminds me of one that I gave as a gift to a friend of mine. It was an ancient hammer with steeled faces but it looked so like yours. It was from the early 1800s and was beautifully wrought as are yours. Nice work all around on your hammers, the continuation of a long tradition.

• 2 weeks later...