I Forge Iron

I have lost a quote...

Joe Davidson

hey everyone,

I have a bit of a different sort of request to normal.

A week ago i was browsing the site and came a across this great quote about how the world is losing the ability to use there hands. But now i cannot find it and Google isn't being very helpful due to me not being able to remember it very well.

I think it was by Gandhi but now I am not too sure.

I'm thinking on using it in a speech that i have to give on a topic of my choice. I will be speaking on how the hand trades like blacksmithing have declined due to how manufacturing having changed and what might be the result of this in the long run. 

So does anyone know the quote?

any ideas on the speech would be appreciated too anyone has any ideas

Thanks

Joe

Dustin's signature is the only one signed as gandhi that seems to be applicable

“Men often become what they believe themselves to be. If I believe I cannot do something, it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe I can, then I acquire the ability to do it even if I didn't have it in the beginning.” ~ Mahatma Gandhi

'?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

Mainely,Bob quoted the following in a thread about unions, didnt read the rest of the topic but that seems like fertile ground for such a sentiment

"The truth is that man needs work even more than he needs a wage.Those who seek the welfare of the workers,should be less anxious to obtain good pay,good holidays and good pensions for them as good work,which is the first of their goods.For the object of work is not so much to make objects as it is to make men.A man makes himself by making something useful"

Matahma Ghandi

and i think i found it, courtesy of John Neeman

"It is a tragedy of the first magnitude that millions of people have ceased to use their hands as hands. Nature has bestowed upon us this great gift which is our hands. If the craze for machinery methods continues, it is highly likely that a time will come when we shall be so incapacitated and weak that we shall begin to curse ourselves for having forgotten the use of the living machines given to us by God."

Mahathma Ghandi

gotta remember to check common misspellings when you want to exhaustively google something :)

looks like I was too slow with the Gandhi quotes

that last one goes on a bit longer I think.
"Its a tragedy of the first magnitude that millions of people have ceased to use their hands as hands. Nature has bestowed upon us this great gift which is our hands. If the craze for machinery methods continues, it is highly likely that a time will come when we shall be so incapacitated and weak that we shall begin to curse ourselves for having forgotten the use of the living machines given to us by God. Millions cannot keep fit by games and athletics and why should they exchange the useful productive hardy occupations for the useless, unproductive and expensive sports and games." Mass production is only concerned with the product, whereas production by the masses is concerned with the product, the producers, and the process.

Frank Turley at his best.
The public questioning and commenting while watching the demonstrating blacksmith.

"Is that hot?" "Whacha makin?" "Ya ever been burnt?" "Don't you shoe horses?" "What's that black stuff you're burning?" "My grandfather was a blacksmith, but he was a real blacksmith!"