I Forge Iron

i have a scrap pile problem

It sounds like the opening to a Blacksmiths Anonymous meeting:

"Hi, my name is John, and I have a scrap pile problem. It has been XX days since I  {pick one}

(1) stopped traffic to pick up rusty metal (bonus points: in the wife's car)

LOL!

Sounds like a neighbor of a customer of mine. His name just happens to be John also... Does he get double bonus points because he drove a city bus and used to stop in the middle of the night to load up scrap off I -95 while on his route?

Lol, I would recommend sheep, they actually do eat weeds. My experience is goats like brush and trees much more. I guess depending on wear you live you may want both. Lol, I do.
I'm afraid I resemble the above remarks. Love all the stuff that falls off of flatbeds in the oil field :-D

our goat got out of his pen and ate 4 two year old apple trees that were 40 bucks  each we were so mad he ate them right t the ground

Yep, for the real renagades and out laws I recomenned smoking. They make great BBQ.
As to orchards, sheep are actually recommended for weed and grass control in vinuards and orchards. The will mow down young treen it any thing over 6' is generally safe. They prune the lower leaves but don't eat the bark.
Other wise it's the "horse cage" 4 each 7 1/2 foot "T" posts and rap in sheap and goat wire. I use an 8' section of fence.
If its just weed control and possibly meat, a lot of folks bread "hair" sheep. Linda is a spinner so we have woollies.

Goats and sheep both have their plus and minus aspects. For all the horror stories about goats, cleaning out ALL the decorative shrubbery, flowers, trees, etc. liking to stand on cars and pickups because they're high off the ground, etc. etc we have a one word solution. FENCING. On the plus side, they're fun, generally have good personalities and are smart enough to avoid some of the basic hazards around.

Sheep are super lawn mowers, untill the later 19th century, before the invention of the reel mower, sheep herds were seen on all large manicured lawns. The White House had two permanent herds, shepards and dogs on duty all the time. Not only do they keep the grass to a nice even 3/4" they fertilize as they go AND wag their tails so the berries are spread evenly. In fact, unless I'm mistaken Pres Regan reinstituted sheep herds on the Capitol and White House lawns. With a little careful handling and gentling down most sheep are gentle enough and even friendly, they usually like their food bringers. The big problem with sheep is they're about chicken smart, that's even starting their education early on.

Deb spins too Charles, that makes us Steel Wool couples you realize.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 3 weeks later...