I Forge Iron

Steel?

Odin's_Hammer

so im looking for some steel to start my first smithing projects planning on just making some small knives because i have a grinding stone although i cant seem to find any most of the stuff i see online seems pretty expensive and im a bit tight on funds im about 15 minutes north of chicago if theres anyone that knows a place in the area to get some or quite possibly a good online vendor? iron would work aswell though ps what is a good starting anvil? that i could make thanks guys

Just start off on some scrap.  Go to garage sales on Saturday and look for cheap solid metal.  Then try to make a knife with that first.  Don't spend a lot of money on material that will most likely just be a learning experience for you.  When you get to where you can craft a shape you like, then spend some money on material.  You're in the third large metropolitan area in the U.S. -- you should have no trouble finding steel if you look around a little bit.

Old files are good (new ones are case hardened), coil and leaf springs, mover blades, old saw blades (if thick enough and non welded on teeth). Look up the junkyard steel PDF cause it will give you a good idea of whats what with useable steels and help you know what heat treatment to use. An old railroad track cut clean and turned on end works good as a bladesmithing anvil and pretty much any large pc of heavy equipment part with a flat surface works to start with. Start with simple stuff and work your way up to knives though, gotta learn alot of basics first (drawing out, tapering, shouldering, etc).