I Forge Iron

Viking Shield

Gundog48

There wasn't a whole lot of blacksmithing involved in this project, but I thought you'd appreciate it nonetheless! A friend of mine was looking for a Viking shield for a theatrical production, it wasn't going to be used, but just had to look the part! We agreed on a scaled down version for practicalities sake. I made it from planks of pine which were glued then braced. I cut the inner hole, sealed, painted then made the centre boss. I've never really done any woodwork before apart from handles nor have I done any sheet metal work, so I was quite happy with the end result. I was tempted to put a leather rim around it to stop it splitting in combat, but it looked nice as it was and wouldn't have been worth the extra time and expense (leather is rather expensive in the UK!). 

post-24777-0-68005300-1375123970_thumb.j

Thanks for the kind words! The hardest this is going to face is a plastic sword! I really enjoyed this so I think I'll have a go at a properly made full sized one for myself! Good idea with the dog chews, I've heard of it being done before, although I'm not sure my rawhide working skills are good enough to make it look like one solid piece as it would be made up of small chews! Perhaps a wide genuine leather belt or sheet steel?

Thanks for the kind words! The hardest this is going to face is a plastic sword! I really enjoyed this so I think I'll have a go at a properly made full sized one for myself! Good idea with the dog chews, I've heard of it being done before, although I'm not sure my rawhide working skills are good enough to make it look like one solid piece as it would be made up of small chews! Perhaps a wide genuine leather belt or sheet steel?

Don't worry about the rawhide chews looking like one piece. If you can't blend the joins well enough accentuate them, make them a statement of some kind. How about shaping the ends like fists, maybe holding swords and axes painted on the shield? OOH, holding the head of a vanquished and plundered foe, by it's hair of course?

Viking shield, never miss a chance to look intimidating and fearsome.

Just thinking.

Frosty The Lucky.