I Forge Iron

Just got this tonight, my Uncle gave it to me, it's been in the family for years (it was in their great grandmothers house, etc.) most likely orginated sometime in the 1800s.  And he wanted to see it put to use instead of sitting around, and offered it to me.

It's approx. #100, but the markings on the side are totally illegible right now. Tomorrow I'll try paper and a pencil, and see what I can get. It's got a square hole on both sides, and the bottom. 

I snapped some photos, but they aren't great, I'll try to get some better ones tomorrow.  

My plan is to set this one lower than my other, as I like to have my main anvil a lil higher tha typical, but if I'm doin heavy hammering I want to have it a lil lower. That way I can go straight from one to the other.

fd2f56b9-5757-42ed-82c0-73def3a45abe_zps

I remember reading somewhere that the square hole going through was to put a pole through for handling during making. Is that right?

8701AFAB-8AD5-41C5-9294-FBAF023B2830-792

• 2 weeks later...

Got some info on it, thanks to Alan Longmire. 

"Got it. cool.png

From top to bottom, it says

M&H

ARMITAGE

MOUSE

HOLE

That trademark style puts it in the 1825-1875 range, and the presence of the pritchel hole puts it after 1830-ish.

The weight markings say it should be 113 pounds, unless that last number is a 15 in which case it was 127 pounds new.  It's probably  lost a few pounds since then, they tend to. "

These are the pics he pulled that info off of. Needless, to say, I was impressed.

DSC09363_zpsde0906ed.jpg

DSC09362_zpsadb06cdb.jpg

DSC09359_zps85e7d729.jpg

Very nice looking anvil.  Sure wish an old girl like that could talk and tell us some of the things she's seen!

That last number looks like a 12.  Either way, that's a great size for an anvil, and she looks to be in fantastic shape.