I Forge Iron

Smiths in south east

Hello
Mack Martin, ive been forging for about 3 years, been workin in shops for longer. I strive to become a professional smith one day. In the last year I have been learning to weld at a local college. I take classes up at Campbell when ever I can, only 6 under my belt so far. I have my own small shop at home and forge often. I belong to the two gilds in GA (my home state). I

You have six (6) classes under your belt? Wow!

While I love getting together with other smiths and would LOVE to take a couple classes, both situations are pretty rare around here. I had to teach myself, not than I'm putting that up as better, there are definate disadvantages. I reinvented so many wheels over the years I could supply Firestone.

What I'm saying is what I tell the folk I've taught over the years. Smithing is a combination of knowledge and practice, nothing more. No magic, no big secrets, just knowledge and practice.

Perhaps after 3 years and 6 classes you actually have enough knowledge and practice to start selling your work? Almost every skilled smith I've met who doesn't sell much work either doesn't want to or just doesn't market properly.

Good to see you delurking and I'm looking foreward to discussing whatever has you held up, got you going or just swapping good recipes.

Frosty

I live in Georgia as well, but am new to blacksmithing myself, so no chance of an apprenticeship here, but I fear apprenticeships are pretty rare these day(correct me if I'm wrong). It is always good, however, to have friends with similar interest as you. What part of Georgia are you from?

im in Gwinnett, just North East of atlanta,
and even if its not a job its alwase good to have friends, i prefer to work in a shop with other people, blacksmithing can get pretty hard without a extra hand or two. yes apprenticesships are hard to find, its more likely ill find a job in a shop with a few other guys all workin under a Professional smith.

i am just about to start selling some of my work, its still pretty hard for me to make money with how slow my work is, lacking some of the tools to speed up my work

You might begin looking for ornamental ironworks shops, although very few are actually smithing. Most working blacksmiths are in very small (less than 3 employees) shops. I subsidize my blacksmithing efforts by providing welding, machining, drafting, whatever it takes, to feed the family. My most profitable commissions would fall short of being called blacksmithing, but paid the bills for a good stretch of time and allowed me to chase the dragon. As I remember my god father (who sparked my interests in smithing) the man would turn down hardly no job as long as it involved metal. I carry this attitude on as I advertize "all things metal, from functional to fantasy"
Check out the ABANA chapters in the Atlanta area (Alex Bieler group) and attend a meeting and get to know some folks.

yes i belong to Alex bealer, been going for a few years, also belong to ocmulgee, don't always make it to those ones, kinda far away. and your right I'm more likely to get a job at a fabrication shop that also dose some blacksmithing, i love working metal and have no problem welding or repairing items. i always talk with the guys in my gilds, I'm just simply putting my name out some where else, always looking for new opportunities