I Forge Iron

Hello all!

pstodds

Hello there everyone! i thought i would join so that i can seek a bit of help, not only with expanding my knowledge and my hobby but hopefully a career as well! I have just finished my GCSE's so i can properly get into this hobby. I have always loved the idea of blacksmithing, it just seems such a cool job to have! I live in the UK and the main purpose i am on this forum is to ask for help in terms  of a career. Does anyone know of any apprenticeship schemes going for young people like me? I would far prefer working over an anvil 24/7 to sitting behind a desk taking phone calls. Any help is much appreciated and i'm sure i just needed to be pointed in the right direction.

thanks,

Paul

hi paul - im uk too - if i were you i would get yourself onto a good blacksmithing course like hereford, or if you dont want full time, or cant do full time, look on the uk blacksmiths guild on here, they do lots of short courses that will help you get up to speed and see what kind of things you can learn. im pretty sure im right in saying apprentiships are few and far between now, due to most people not being able to afford taking one on. but you might be lucky - keep asking around. i reckon a course is a good idea if your straight out of school. :) go for it !!

I have been looking at the Hereford course, it certainly looks good! Only problem is, i live in Suffolk so it would be quite a way to go! i would have to go on the part-time course. who on here has done it? what is it like, and how much does it cost?

I have been looking at the Hereford course, it certainly looks good! Only problem is, i live in Suffolk so it would be quite a way to go! i would have to go on the part-time course. who on here has done it? what is it like, and how much does it cost?

I would suggest contacting the college and asking for a prospectus with costs etc. you could also try Plumpton College which has an excellent set up too, and may be nearer for you.

Welcome aboard Paul, glad to have you. Deb's always looking for a barn cleaner and general "go do it" guy but it's not what I'd call a career. Sorry.

Frosty The Lucky.

If I were to believe the clowns on gold rush, this might be very lucrative Alaska has nuggets everywhere, hang on I live in Johannesburg-where the streets are paved with gold- Ha,Ha!.

Pstodds, Blacksmithing can be a very difficult  and "hard to get into " career. But keep at it as it can be very rewarding to those that can think laterally and "out of the proverbial box".

Ian

If I were to believe the clowns on gold rush, this might be very lucrative Alaska has nuggets everywhere, hang on I live in Johannesburg-where the streets are paved with gold- Ha,Ha!.

Pstodds, Blacksmithing can be a very difficult  and "hard to get into " career. But keep at it as it can be very rewarding to those that can think laterally and "out of the proverbial box".

Ian

I thought that was diamonds Ian, gold is just sooo ordinary.

Frosty The Lucky.

I have now contacted the college about taking the course, thanks for the advice! what would i do when i pass my level 3 (if of course i actually make it!) what would be the best route to go down, open my own business? where can you get work like that?

i would see what the course is like, the type of elements of the work you enjoy and worry about the actual Job later - there are so many directions you can take with this subject, either working for yourself, or someone else - when youve been through the course youll be in a better position to see where you want to go. and there will be opportunities at that time that are specific to that time, like anything else. best of luck! i hope you get on a course if thats what you want - its what id have done if i had not got children and other things to think about ! .

During your course you will find your own particular niche, it may be going self employed, it may be going into employment, or going on a world wide journey picking up more skills and knowledge as you work.

Some students use their final projects to give them a marketing opportunity by entering into various NBCC competitions, I know of several who have gone this route and picked up commissions and enquiries, and are now running their own succesful businesses.

There are no guarantees, but hard work is usually rewarded.

Good luck in your chosen path.

I must say, owning my own business sounds pretty good! what is the success rate of blacksmithing businesses? I wouldn't like the thought of all that paperwork though, has to be done i suppose!

yep - there are a LOT of things involved in running your own business that have nothing whatsoever to do with the pleasure of bsmithing! i guess its called Work for a reason! Theres no reason why you cant learn those skills too though, and the more in depth courses will probably run through some basic business stuff. i think by getting yourself on some kind of a course you will see if it is the right thing for you, and if it is, you will be able to manage the rest by hook or by crook :)

I must say, owning my own business sounds pretty good! what is the success rate of blacksmithing businesses?

Welcome pstodds! You may just have blown your intro into a ten page debate :lol: I would give a new ''blacksmithing business'' about the same chances as a new restaurant... :( But there are alot more variables in running a sucessful BS shop I reckon. Aside from that, persistence is key to sucess as in any new endevor plus you need to wear more than just one hat...... B)

Taking a couple business management, marketing and perhaps accounting classes is a good start. kblacksmithing is only one part of a business, unless you can run a business you won't be in business long. If you learn the business end well you'll have a fall back, I'll bet there are plenty of guys out there starting businesses who don't know how to run them. It's always good to have a fall back trade. To Quote Mom and Dad.

If you only have one marketable skill you're a one trick pony and if that trick is no longer marketable neither are you.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for the help guys! I have asked for application forms for hereford, so hopefully i will get in, but obviously that won't be until september! What other courses are available iv'e heard warwick does one, is that any good?