I Forge Iron

First own hatchet

Servus!

Some time ago i went to a masterschool comrade as he asked me if would like to help him forging some hatchets for a hunting show.

It was a great Deal for me as i learned alot. All blacksmithing i did so far was learned by reading or watching videos and it was a big difference to be taught how to do it right.

We did 6 hatchets that day. At every step i helped with the first 5 ones and the sixth was my own.

Hatchets are complete C 60 so no cutting steel inlet is necessary. Because of the tough material you can use the back as a hammer too, without getting mushroom soon or destroying the eye.

Hardening was great to see, how exact he was able to set the heating colours on the blade.

I'm still in love with this small hatchet as it takes what comes along. It is pretty handy and fits in nearly all types of backpacks.

My anvil stump was full of metall splinters, nails and round material, but the hatchet did a great job in getting a new form to the stump without resharpening. Even my fiskars X 7 had soon to be resharped and i needed to grind the notches away.

post-30320-0-92662500-1373090954_thumb.j

post-30320-0-51871600-1373090957_thumb.j

Greetz,

Hannes

Hannes: Your story brings a surge to my heart. Few things in life are as satisfying as using a tool you've made with your own hands and to have that tool more than a match for challenges beyond what it's intended for is a life's moment. For it to be a first such tool is even more special. this hatchet will pass to your children and your children's children along with this tale and more.

Thank you for sharing this great moment in your life.

Frosty The Lucky.