I Forge Iron

fisher anvil question

I just picked up a fisher anvil today that is in very good shape and a price I could not pass up. it has 1842 under the heel and what appear to be roman numerals L III on the left side and a 0 on the right. Does that tell the weight and would 1842 be when it was made? I am more familiar with the Peter Wright and stone weights this is the first Fisher I have seen. 

Thanks,

Doug

The date cannot be 1842.  Fisher did not exist then.  Look more closely.  It is more likely 1942.   The Roman numerals had to do with pour or pattern numbers.  They are of no significance.  Some Fishers had a number on the leg to the right of the horn, with the horn to the right.  That indicates the weight.  Or you can just weigh it on a scale.

Pictures do tell a big story.   Try to post some of get them to me via email (in profile).  I can tell you a lot more about your anvil then.

Doesn't impress me as being very large, but you couldn't have found one in better condition!  Wow, is she a beaut!!

My next anvil is going to be a Fisher with the bolt-down lugs.  Love the idea even if I don't need them and I can't wait to built a stand for one.  

Doesn't impress me as being very large, but you couldn't have found one in better condition!  Wow, is she a beaut!!

My next anvil is going to be a Fisher with the bolt-down lugs.  Love the idea even if I don't need them and I can't wait to built a stand for one.  

VaughnT:  Goes without saying, when you bolt down a FISHER using the lugs, just make the bolts tight, not torqued.  I have a few Fisher anvils with broken lugs from overtightening.

This is the Fisher anvil I picked up yesterday do not know much of its history other than

the date of 1942, and that it belonged to an old friends father and got a good price

on it.

Doug

A sweet, barely used FISHER.  WW2 vintage.  Fisher had to get clearance for all production for civilian use during the war.  This one was probably made for the GSA(Government Service Administration) for military use.  The GSA was the biggest buyer of Fisher anvils from WW2 to the end of their production in 1979.  Somewhere, I dream that there are pallets of NOS Fisher anvils sitting in a warehouse somewhere.