I Forge Iron

Flare

AJAX

Hey guys, I am starting to build my first forge. I plan on using the forge burner from this video: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxzdqcPzXj8

(I highly recommend this video/burner for those other people starting out)

anyways, I was wondering if anyone knew where I could buy a pre-made flare. Or, is it possible to use this burner without the flare, so I can use it to make a flare? thanks,

Dave has a number of good youtube videos online. I believe he mentions how to make a flare if one isn't available. I use a thread protector on mine rather than a flare, I get them from the local plumbing supply. thread protectors are like couplers but are much lighter and usually free for the asking. Their job is to protect the threaded ends of pipe and cost more to ship back than they're worth. they do however make a decent flare substitute.

You can heat and forge a thread protector into a flare, if you're careful you won't damage the threads on the small end so you can screw it onto the burner tube. Or you can enlarge it enough to slide on and use a set screw which lets you adjust it  much more easily.

Frosty The Lucky.

I just built one of these burners myself and used a 12 inch black iron pipe nipple and cut it into three different flares. I drifted them out using a blowtorch and a drift. I talked to Dave about the difference between his suggested SS flare vs a black pipe one. He said the only real difference was SS would last abit longer. So that's why I made 3 from the 12" pipe from the start. It's a great little burner.

I dip the thread protector "flares" I use in kaolin slip, let it dry and it really extends the life by preventing air contact with the metal. I don't know how or if it'd work on a smooth flare.

Frosty The Lucky.

i used a 2" ss pipe 3/4 id. and didnt have a torch or forge handy to flare the nozzle so i got out my 8oz ball pin hammer and my 16oz, put the 8oz ball of the hammer in the hole and used the 16oz to pound it in. Do this till the ball is about 3/4's of the way in and switch to the 16oz ball of the hammer and i had a 3lb sledge to pound with worked perfectly..Oh i would spray wd-40 in the pipe and ball to prevent it from getting stuck..

post-28199-0-91497100-1372516267_thumb.j