I Forge Iron

'Viking Womans' knife

Gundog48

Here's a knife I made the other day as a gift for someone, modeled after the 'Viking womans' knives seen around on here. I haven't had time to check the historical accuracy of this one so I'll just call it a blacksmith's knife! Probably the sharpest I've made, simple and fun to make!

post-24777-0-32383900-1372272545_thumb.j

post-24777-0-21789900-1372272706_thumb.j

Thanks! I'm going to have to make one for myself, I really liked it! It is supposedly the type of knife that Viking women would carry with them as a sort of utility knife where men would normally carry seaxes. I haven't looked much into the historical accuracy of it, especially as it seems likely that most women didn't wear belts as an emphasis was given in one of the Norse texts about a woman when she put a belt on as though it was not normally something she would have done. I think it's far more likely that this kind of knife would have been used by all sorts of people as it is a relatively easy knife to produce!

Gundog,

I really need to come to Kent for a visit I could come see you and Brother Neil as well there is an Awesome Pub that sits On the corner it is real cool too it has a very cool garden out back also . it is one of the oldest ones in Kent you may or may not know of him he works with the VA as a retired Vet his name is Neil Muir .

Sam

I like the sound of a meetup! You're more than welcome to come and tour my 16x9 garage! I can't say I know it, whereabouts in Kent is it? The embarrassing thing is unless it's after October I'd have to be drinking orange juice!

gundog - im intrigued about the pre october orange juice... :) your name implies shooting, and october - the pheasant season??.. so you save yourself till the shoots begin, and then after october its sloe gin all the way? :)