I Forge Iron

My "first" knife

Nobody Special

So......a long while back,  before I discovered IFI, I made a good ole lawnmower kitchen knife blank.......and it's been sitting there......and sitting there, while I made other stuff, including the occaisional spearhead or Knife Like Object.

Finally decided, forget it. It's not perfect, don't sand or polish further, put a simple handle on it, stick it in the kitchen and use it. So, several knives later........my "first" knife.

And before it comes up, I've been reading the knifemaking lessons and tips.......and they've been extremely helpful, just too late for this one.

Knife is from 1080-ish (i think) lawnmower blade, Handle is pecan cordwood from my firewood stack, and the pins are cut down from a stainless steel peg from my pegboard. Probably woulda looked better with a simple bolster.

The first knife is a big step for anyone to take.

My advise?  You did good, but you know you could have done a whole lot better.  The key is that you got lazy and short-changed yourself.  But, you know that and knowing is half the battle.

In the future, use good steel from a known source.  It saves you a ton of work and money.  "Free" metal is never free when you figure in the time and energy needed to get it to a decent state.

What I would do is take that knife apart and apply all that you've learned since.  With the before and after pics, I bet it would be a real eye-opener!

• 2 weeks later...

Not a bad first effort. I forged maybe a dozen blades before I finally finished one, I still have that first blade I forged but will probably never finish it. Anyway good for you going back and finishing it. Every knife you make has valuable lessons to teach if you're willing to learn. So keep making them and keep learning you're headed in the right direction.

My first KSO was a rail road spike. We all started somewhere. I agree with Vaughn first knife is a big step. Showing it to people is an even bigger step. Solicit honest criticism from someone who makes great knives and their advice will lead you in the right direction.