I Forge Iron

Straitening a 'Hawk Eye

if you are two far into the process you could be scuppered.

if you are only just into the drifting then you can heat the thicker side of the eye and leave the thinner side colder. the punch will move into the material with the least resistance or you can thin the thicker side with the punch in. often this will create an eye that is uneven in other ways so you may have to grind material away to even things out.

I have a lot of offset holes in my scrap pile.

Has anyone tried drilling a pilot hole for the slit punch?  I haven't tried this yet, but have seen it recommended to supposedly help with the alignment.

pilot holes work great, I often use them foe deep holes such as when putting a 4 by 6mm punch through a pommel (50mm + material).

you are removing material though but in many cases this does not affect what you are making.

If the eye is to the rear of the axe, and he hasn't gone too thin on one side, could he

-cut it near the front corner of the eye - -bend it straight - draw "sides" to same thickness - rebend around a bar or the anvil horn - reweld at front of eye and then drift?

Similar to making the eye by wrapping flattish bar stock around a oval or round bar and welding, instead  of using punch and then drifting. Grant you, for that much work, I'd probably toss it and start fresh.

(and I really am asking, not suggesting, I haven't tried it yet, and might need it for my mess ups if it works)