I Forge Iron

Newly aquired anvil - need help identifying

Greetings all,

Just recently purchased a new anvil to get started on smithing. The anvil has pretty good rebound and a nice clear ring - generally gives a bounce of around 80% with a 1/2" SS ball bearing.

Anvil is one solid piece - no discernable plate on top. I am guessing that the 268 on the side is the weight of the anvil, but I am no expert by any means. Any help is appreciated in helping to identify who made the anvil and the approximate year.

Thanks a bunch!

post-36249-0-93812500-1371568057_thumb.j

post-36249-0-35110200-1371568062_thumb.j

post-36249-0-16719800-1371568067_thumb.j

post-36249-0-58366700-1371568071_thumb.j

post-36249-0-79326500-1371568075_thumb.j

post-36249-0-20211800-1371568080_thumb.j

On second glance, now that you said Hay-Budden, there is definitely clearly visible the "YN" of Brooklyn, NY that is on the Hay-Buddens, right above the 264 weight marking. This also makes sense with the waist weld being right there, and the top being completely cast steel with no face plate.

Thanks a bunch, macbruce. I'll post some pictures of her when she's all shined up.

On a side note, I paid $300 for her from an antique dealer friend of mine, who had a number of anvils lying around from an estate cleanout he had purchased. This was at the bottom of the pile, and the ball bounce test was what made me pick her over all the others lying around.

On second glance, now that you said Hay-Budden, there is definitely clearly visible the "YN" of Brooklyn, NY that is on the Hay-Buddens, right above the 264 weight marking. This also makes sense with the waist weld being right there, and the top being completely cast steel with no face plate.

Thanks a bunch, macbruce. I'll post some pictures of her when she's all shined up.

On a side note, I paid $300 for her from an antique dealer friend of mine, who had a number of anvils lying around from an estate cleanout he had purchased. This was at the bottom of the pile, and the ball bounce test was what made me pick her over all the others lying around.

• 2 weeks later...

You did good! I just bought a Hey Budden in almost as good condition. Liveliest anvil I've ever used. Nearly 100% rebound with the ball bearing. I paid $210 and my old ASO in trade. I love it.
101HB, how do you decipher HB serial numbers?

David, I'm using the chart in Richard Postman's book 'Anvils in America', pg. 303. He states "the approximate date within two years". If you're thinking of getting the book, PM me and I'll give you his contact information so all the proceeds from sale of the book go to the author. Cheers