I Forge Iron

Twisted handle spike knife

Timmy Charles

I made a railroad spike knife the other day. It turned out a lot better than my first one. I think the twist was a nice additional touch and they look fairly uniform. I just have to get the blade sharpened a bit better. This will be used as a fathers day gift. I will be putting his last name on the blade. Check out the video on it here.post-38918-0-41876500-1371226228_thumb.j

Looks nice, each time you'll get better and better.  I decided to remove & straighten the bottom edge on mine during profiling, which makes sharpening easier.  Here are some of mine where you can see what I mean.  How are you hardening yours?  I quench in ice water and then only do a minimum temper of 325' for an hour.

post-34362-0-17205200-1371238112_thumb.j

I don't do too much cleanup on these, going for a more primitive look.  I'm working with old files now, the profiling & grinding that I learned while working with spike kso was beneficial.  The forging & HT'ing is obviously different.  Here's what I made my dad for Father's Day.  I took it over to him at lunch, which we spent sharpening knives.  I now have a bald spot on my left arm.

post-34362-0-94314800-1371238552_thumb.j

Here's what I made my dad for Father's Day.  I took it over to him at lunch, which we spent sharpening knives.  I now have a bald spot on my left arm.

attachicon.giffile knife 01.jpg

I like that knife with the bone handle. I heat treat in the over as well. I usually do it at about 450° so I can cook pizza at the same time (just kidding). I treat at about 350°. My first one I used a grinding wheel with the sandpaper and cleaned it up and made it nice and shinny. I like this one much more with the cutting edge only being shinny. Thanks for checking it out.

It's a partial tang.  I drilled a hole in the antler, then dug it out so the tang would fit and epoxied it in.  Send me a PM if you have anymore questions on it.

Tim, I like how you left the hammer marks on this one.  Keep the videos & pictures coming.  I sold a bottle opener like the one you made in that other video today.  2nd one like that now that's sold, it's good to share ideas!

Dan