I Forge Iron

Desperately seeking coal

Thanks for the quick response, Jose, but these listings are all simply distributors for industrial coal, not actual coal yards. They are just office buildings. If I get desperate, I might give 'em a call just to see if they have any clue about finding bituminous.

Don

Call Polly Butuy of Butuy Coal Company 865-482-5235.
They will be running (mining) coal the week of August 6, 2007. Call her and get the exact date and make arrangements for pick up. No idea what coal seam or the BTU's are, talk with them about that.

Mine is located in Duff, 6 miles north of Lafollette.
Lump coal is $105/ton

Total Est. Distance: 45.07 miles from downtown Knoxville.
Est. Time: 1 hour

I've arranged for a coal supplier to bring some to next Saturdays SWABA meeting for me to save me from driving another hour plus after the meeting to pick it up. Helps that another smith is buying a 1/2 ton on top of my measly 200 pounds...

Where do the folks in your local ABANA (or split off) chapter buy their coal?

Thomas

I just joined NC ABANA and that is the first question I asked our local chapter head. He said that there are a lot of guys like me who are asking the same question. We did get it from a guy an hour and a half west of here, but he retired and doesn't deal with it any more. So, we're stuck looking for a source for now.

Don A: I called Grace Fuel in Asheville, NC. Their prices as of 08/02/07 were $10.60 per 50 lb. bag or about $248/ton. (I know that the math doesn't exactly work out between those two numbers, but that's what the lady told me.) If you buy it by the truck load, they can weigh the truck before and after. They do not ship.

Heading on in to Asheville is a little farther for you as opposed to stopping at Kayne & Son in Candler, but the price may make the trip less painful.

I know this was aimed at Don A., but thanks for posting it, Bottomgottem. Asheville is only about 3 and a half hours from me. I haven't spent enough time in that part of the state. Once I get the extra cash, maybe I can take the family and we make a day trip of it and I can get some coal to bring back with me.

• 6 years later...