I Forge Iron

Nuttin like an anvil firmly bolted down :)

That's the problem using other peoples stuff-it was at Pat's Forge at Normanskill Farm in albany New York. Hammer class put on by the Capital Districts Blacksmiths, taught by nathan Robertson. Good teacher, fun class. That guy can hit pretty darned hard-he's a heck of a smith.
The other problem besides the stump is a small anvil, and a big chunk of steel with 2 guys whaling away with sledges.

The worst that could have happened would have been the anvil tipped over and hit the floor. We were striking like that a good portion of the day.

More likely the worst thing that could happen is the anvil flip over and smash some ones foot and they have to have it amputated because the bones were crushed beyond repair. 

Just a little something to add. I am a professional smith with 20 years experience, Nathan Robertson is a professional with a decade or 2 of experience, and Doug Delrey has many years experience, the dramatic "someones foot could have been crushed and needed amputation" statement serves no one anything. Yes, the anvil was not very stable-dangerous, No. I was there, I caught it with ONE hand for crying out loud, I know what's what and that statement is ridiculous and inflammatory.

How about a post of the video that is non facebook?? although I know Nathan (and he lives not to far from me) and I'll get the scoop from him personally next time I see him, would like to see the video though - sounds like a hoot!!!

You do not believe that a anvil of approximately 100lbs or heavier falling from about 2 feet could damage some ones foot to the point of crushing bones and ripping muscles or tendons if the person were only wearing boots or shoes without steel guards? I in no way think that it is ridiculous or inflammatory. It may be unlikely that it would hit some ones foot straight on. But unlikely things happen every day. Working in a industrial setting I try and look for accidents waiting to happen and do what I can to prevent them.

I am not calling your skill as a blacksmith into any question nor am I trying to insult anyone. 

I am just pointing out for folks that may not have considered the danger that a anvil that is not securely fastened down can do serious damage to a human body. 

I dont really care much for safety, but you were losing alot of energy through that little anvil wiggling all over and feel shame for that lost energy and wasted effort. Not to mention where it looked like when the anvil wiggled forward from your swing and you nailed the edge with a sledge too LOL. Heaven forbid that sledge rebounds and bashes someone's head. But you do what you want with what you got.

Thank You Mark - wasn't as bad as it sounded in the start of the thread - although things may be done a little different next time - The goal of it all is to have a great time and noone getting hurt. Like a lot of people - you use what you have and make it work. Making a hammer for the first time is always a good time, heck I take Nathans class every year for the camaraderie and to get outta my shop and make a hammer (even though I could easily do it in my shop).

Don't think anybody that criticized actions of anvil is out of line ...The bobble and weave of anvil is some what disturbing.... At 43 second mark in video I would be inclined to stop and get better base for anvil.... Also in my mind anvil was a little small for such heavy striking....

Anyway glad nobody got hurt....

Dale