I Forge Iron

bohemian anvil

i found a bohemian anvil in the 300 lb range that looks to be in mint condition I believe it is one of the sas brands with the two cathedral slots on the sides and offset table towards the tail, with the hardy hole centered, no pritchel.  any idea what it is worth? just deciding if I should jump on it, since it will be quite a drive.  were the faces on these anvils well hardened

4 quantloos; you are on Charon Beta Prime right?  Even here in America the price can vary almost by a factor of two depending on where you are at.

As for were the faces well hardened:  what maker, when was it made (the answer being Yes, No, Maybe depending on information not provided.  I will say that for older large anvils the larger they are the softer the face is---not necessarily a bad thing if you have 5 strikers with 20 pound sledges and one of them comes in hungover...

It looks exactly like the one on anvil fire:

http://www.anvilfire.com/anvils/ferd_anvil_012.php

except I can't see any markings for maker on the picture of the one I found.  SAC?  I am kindof getting the feeling the one I found is a scam, just seems too good to be true and the picture looks like a smaller anvil than 300 lbs. 

I have three of them, one (my first anvil, maybe around 100 years old) has 32 kg and if I drop an 1inch bearing ball on the face, I catch it back in the hand without moving, something like a 95% rebound. another is a ~'70 era copy (around 120kg), no brand, but not an ASO and not as hard as the little one. the third is 85kg with some swayback, but still with a hard face, local brand, maybe 80-100 years old.

if it's an original one, not the recent czech or other ones, of which I don'nt know the quality, it might be a very good anvil and quiet rare in America (if you are located there). here that pattern IS "the anvil", as in the US "the anvil" is the "London Pattern" which is VERY rare here. 

so, jump on it - good anvils and good pattern.

I think it is some kindof craigslist scam, this is the second CL scam I have found this month, basically they stop contacting you once you offer to come and get it, apparently they want you to wire money to them for payment.  here it is by the picture the proportions seem wrong to me for a 330lb as well, loos too small.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/tls/3844895732.html

the link matei sent was very helpful, the picture is of a 280 lb anvil, and it looks like it is the one in that thread that did not have good rebound, looks like it is a legitimate craigslisting, so anyone interested in a beautiful anvil with no rebound there it is in san diego... if i was closer  would go check it out, but i am out on this one. thanks for all the advice