I Forge Iron

Knife makers "anvil" / hardies

Eddie Mullins

This post '?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>> referenced an OP about a Sheffield knife forging video. I couldn't find the thread on here, but did find the video on youtube, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpeyhC-UIFg . I have watched it over and over since.

There lots of technique and more to learn from it. One of the things that really stands out to me is the "anvil" he is using, if that's even what it is. Is it an anvil that was made or modified for specifically making knives?? He never actually uses the face, but multiple tools or dies... it looks like it may have multiple hardy holes ?

Does anyone have any more info on this type of "anvil" or tooling?

I will be making some hardies like those he is using.

Sheffield knifemakers anvils.

Thanks for the pics, I asked Google, but didn't really find anything.

Is that a hardened faced anvil that just has slot cuts into for different tools? I couldn't decide if it even had a hardened face. Definitely has given me a new perspective on the design of a functional anvil.

Why the heck wouldn't it be called an anvil?  Things like that have been called anvils longer than the london pattern anvil has been around!

Notice the off centered hammers that so many folks like to call "japanese" but were used in knifemaking in Europe for centuries!

I really enjoyed the first Youtube of Mr. A Craven forging blades. The Sheffield anvil must be about as efficient a device for various forging work just change tools and you're off.

It's also an excellent example of how little anvil contact is necessary for knife work. None of those faces are larger than the end of a piece of rail. All the other tools he used can be EASILY ground from the flange and web of rail. Lastly, did you notice how much his tools moved under the hammer? There was a significant amount of energy loss but he forged two GROSS blades a DAY! That is 288 blades ready for the grinder and dresser a DAY! How fast is THAT?

Notice how long those little blades held heat, compared to using a London pattern anvil, what, 4x at least? His bottom tools are only a little larger than his hammer face and he turned the work 90* every blow. Minimum contact with the anvil means minimum heat loss through conduction.

I'd pay the gentleman rent to sit on a stool in an out of the way to watch him forge and listen to him talk.

thanks for the link.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty,

I'd pay for a stool next to you!

Oh what a juicy straight line! I immediately came up with a full range of stool jokes but I'll resist. Resisting is good therapy for me you know.

We could share a bucket of ale.

Frosty The Lucky.