I Forge Iron

Ball pene axe

So I'm very new to this and have made a few flattened rr spikes you could call knives and I'm into every possible criticism harsh or otherwise :)

I have made my first axe from a 28-32 oz ball pene and put it on maple I got from a local stair shop, still haven't finished the rest of the things I've started but have a few ideas and five kinds of wood to play with

My gf had made a little chunk of scale mail so I wrapped it on there. It won't stay like that but it looks nice. I ground it a little and covered it all in olive oil.
Beeswax is I guess the thing to use....

post-41829-0-60982600-1370461913_thumb.j

post-41829-0-64317200-1370461976_thumb.j

It's an old hammer so maybe 1085 or 95? I'm just going by the scientific steelworker. It could be crap. Lol all I know it's super sharp and only time and use will lemme know. I've heard mixed things about spark testing, I'd be willing to try for an idea but I'm no good enough yet to even consider buying good steel for things I make in a buddy's backyard! :) maybe later

Well done Dayne! I am so happy to see someone leave the .pein a ball, I'm tempted to celebrate with a happy little skippy dance! The scale maile looks really well on the piece, I like it just as it is.

Bees wax is sort of traditional, for many centuries they couldn't get anything better. the problem being bees wax stays tacky so it collects dust, wipes off on things and rubs off so the protection is lost. My preference for wax finishes is Treewax which is Carnuba, the stuff they armour bowling alleys with. Johnson's original paste wax is good and contains a decent % of carnuba, I use it too. Apply either at less than smoking heat and it'll flow into the smallest cracks, wipe off the excess and when it cools it's pretty darned well sealed. If you want black, apply at higher heat, it will darken the finish from clear through tans, browns to black at higher heats. You'll GET to experiment to see what you like.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hey thanks!!! I'll try out some carnauba I find in Calgary here next time. Trying to be a sponge right now and soak all the info I can. I'm stoked (haha stoked for smithing) about a weekend course I'm to take from a local bs here who has been going since '85. So again I welcome all criticism.

Thinning beeswax with canola or soybean makes for a good grip as well.its what I used on my weapons when I competed

GOOD point! Bees wax being tacky would make a far better grip than hardening waxes or clear coating it.

Frosty The Lucky.

Yeah she's pretty crafty. Ill extend the comments her way . I've worked a bit with leather as well so were hoping to make some mixed armor peices and things to go with all the old world items I keep creating. There'll be more pics to come. I'm gonna try welding some scrap this weekend after I make a big round swage and a flatter.