I Forge Iron

tiny Peter Wright anvil

Hi folks, can anyone give me an idea as to what anvils this small are designed for? I'm guessing they're jewellers anvils or something? Also, how rare are they? I do a lot of eBay window shopping and infrequently I see ones of a similar size that are listed as "rare", but I'm a cynic. I'd imagine that if there's any premium attached to this one it's because it's a Peter Wright and not because of it's size.

It's 11.5" long and 20lbs, the face is only about 2" wide. I think the guy who did the weight stamping was hungover the day he stamped this. I've accumilated this along the way but it's got to go now as my boiler's just packed up so all luxuries are being flogged before I move onto selling my kidneys...

post-26685-0-22671800-1370421470_thumb.j

post-26685-0-43444100-1370421481_thumb.j

I learned on one a similar size to this. Lovely little anvil.

I'd buy it. No seriously!

I'm often perusing eBay as well. And the smaller ones are indeed fairly rare. I've seen a handful go on there.

The slightly larger ones go for quite good money. There's actually three or four on there of this size just now. One has been listed several times at £150 and still no sale...

I think they might have been for silversmiths. Or so I'm told.

You accept an offer of £2 /lb right?? :p

I'd consider anything up to about £70 a bargain for it. Over £100 is stretching the imagination for me personally but I'm a tight sod like most smiths...

In Australia I've heard these called 'traveling anvils' as if someone could pack it on their horse for repairs in the Outback. I can also see it being used as a workbench anvil for any number of shops.

Sent you a PM as well.

Well blimey, there's food for thought. If I'd known anyone here might have been interested in it I would have at least taken better pictures and possibly made up some great story to the anvil...I was swallowed whole by Moby Dick...and I found this anvil in his belly...and I used it to forge a knife to cut myself free out of his belly...

I'd be curious to hear what others have to say as to it's size/purpose, and it goes without saying that I'm open to as many offers as possible. Now that I know folks on here are interested I doubt I'll eBay it, I've got a lot of help from folks on this site and I'd rather see it go to someone here.

Maybe once as much light has been shed on the rarerity/purpose/general info of it we could hold a secret auction where folks PM bids or something, I dunno, I'm just thinking aloud.

out here in the states when you might be packing an anvil a hundred miles or more into the wilderness and there might not be another smith in several days ride from your claim, farm, cabin, etc a small anvil means it gets there and not abandoned along the way,

I do not need this, I do not need this, I do not need this.........

As I said earlier I learned on an anvil of this size, perhaps slightly larger. They really punch above their weight. I never felt at a disadvantage and it was perfectly capable of everything I wanted out of it. You probably wouldn't be making gates and large stuff but a travelling smith could easily produce everyday items.

All the best
Andy

I image something like that would make an awesome demo anvil, like for a ren. fair blacksmith, or something more period correct like a civil war reenactment.  It doesn't take much of an anvil to make a bottle opener or a hook, as long and what you have is properly mounted to a sturdy stand of some sort.  That little beauty looks like it's in nice shape too.

Hi folks, I thought I'd upload some more detailed shots and measurements for the sake of those who are interested in buying this little headturner, and in general for all passers-by to admire.

Apologies to the Americans that are interested, the measurements are in mm. Unfortunately the focus went on the full length shot, the full length measurement is 290mm.

I haven't photoshopped these in any way except to reduce the file size so they don't eat up too much space on the forum. Enjoy...

post-26685-0-39692600-1370600369_thumb.j

post-26685-0-82081700-1370600381_thumb.j

post-26685-0-76593000-1370600392_thumb.j

post-26685-0-51393300-1370600402_thumb.j

post-26685-0-14553900-1370600431_thumb.j

post-26685-0-28248400-1370600471_thumb.j

post-26685-0-28347000-1370600486_thumb.j

post-26685-0-45083700-1370600500_thumb.j

post-26685-0-98300600-1370600608_thumb.j