I Forge Iron

What are these tongs used for ?

ah1988

I will probably try to sell them, I had picked up a few tongs at the garge sale along with thoes so If i sell these they will pay for

the ones I am keeping. But they are really a "one purpose" items so they may be hard to sell without repurposing them. But then againg for $5 I wouldnt have a problem keeping them. The valve compressor tongs seem like with a little tweaking they would make good rr spike tongs..... hmmmm a excuse to keep them lol. Its raining right now ... well see what tomorrow brings.

The problem with getting rid of specialty items is that next week you may suddenly find yourself doing that specialty!

I have over 100 handled tools on the rack yet still am willing to buy more---one hammer I had not used in over a decade and then I had a task where it was the *PERFECT* hammer to get way down into a medieval helmet replica I was doing to peen rivets near the "point"  Having it on the rack sure saved a lot of bad language and time.

Intresting I like it, and thanks for the welcoming.

I sold a pair of flat tongs to a guy just now so I am keeping the other ones I bought it paid for them....

I am sure I will find a use for them somewhere during my blacksmithing adventures.

I like having a arsenal of tools ..... the woman hates it :P

Greetings All.

I found out what the hoop and punch tongs are....   They are for removing battery cable ends...  The one I saw looks just like yours...   I guess there will be no toilet paper holders in your future...

Forge on

Jim

there are no bolts on wooden wagon wheels. the rim holds it all together

Beg to differ........many tires were held on with bolts on light buggies in the later part of the 19th century. Check out M.T.Richardson for some references.

and many wheels have wood screws through the tire to hold them on.  We set tire each year at Threshers and many times have to hacksaw screws off so we can shrink and set the tire back to proper size.  Yes, there are factory made bolts for wheels too.

Ill second that, while Ive sudied forge thrunk tires on wagon wheels  with canted spokes that ideallly did not use bolts, most all the amish buggies here have the steel tire bolted in many places (and many  use use fiberglass spokes and centers painted black).