I Forge Iron

Wisdom Brand Anvil

So I was in an Army Surplus store over the holiday weekend out of town and found a new anvil for sale. I first wrote it off as an ASO but noticed that the tag said steel anvil. The brand was Wisdom and  were made in China. I hadn't planned on looking at anvils and couldn't find a ball bearing anywhere. I tapped it with a hammer and it had a loud ring and some rebound. The rebound wasn't astonishing but it definitely wasn't Cast Iron. A magnet further confirmed that it wasn't Cast Iron. it was around 150lbs. I didn't have the good sense to take a picture at the time and am kicking myself now. Anyway my point to this rambling is to ask if any one has seen or heard of this brand of anvil.

I had thought the cast iron had a weaker attraction. I was comparing it with something i knew was steel. I was trying to think of a way to identify it on the fly. I know it's not a definitive test and now thinking it might be useless.....lol.

Ring means far less than rebound, go with rebound to evaluate it's usefulness. Sure, the higher the % of carbon in iron the weaker the attraction of a magnet but unless you're carrying a really sensitive instrument to measure it you aren't going to feel it by hand unless it has really high carbon content, in the 8-9%+ range MAYBE.

Frosty The Lucky.