I Forge Iron

Shortening A Log Trailer Frame

A customer wanted his log trailer 6 feet shorter. So this is how you do it. More or less LOL

post-13863-0-48950400-1368761176_thumb.j

This is the trailer before I cut 6 feet out of the middle.

post-13863-0-69657200-1368761344_thumb.j

This is it with the 6 feet reomved

post-13863-0-08781300-1368761397_thumb.j

Welded back together

post-13863-0-85497500-1368761473_thumb.j

A picture of the weld on the outside of the frame. I did a full pen weld on the frame and added a !/2" plate to the inside of the frame for support.

post-13863-0-97247300-1368761751_thumb.j

This is a weld I made on the frame of the truck that will be pulling it. I forgot to take pics of the progress on it. I cut 4' from the frame on it. The truck came with a sleeper and he removed it. That left the frame to long for what he wanted to do with the truck.

Scott

Thank you Dave. I used 1/8- 7018 H4R for the rods ( it's what I had at hand) I run the amps around 130 or so and my machine is a Lincoln Ranger 8. I have a lot more lead on the machine than normally so I run the amps a bit higher than some others. Of course every machine is different as you know. Miller machines seen to run a bit hotter to me.
Scott

Hey Scott,

I would Grind the weld enough to plate a Diamond on each side of the rails this will strengthen the joint for the weld you have made and prevent it from a fracture next to the weld . when I cut one I always cut the frame to look like a lap joint and still install a Diamond plat over the frame to give it a stress releaver  point . Them log tailors/trucks take a beating and could split right beside the weld ripping the frame in half . IMHO 

By the way Dagum good looking weld and no undercut .

Sam

Hiya Sam

I plated the inside with half inch plate. What I've found in the past if you put to much plate or make the weld joint to stiff it will tend to break at the weld. The frame has to flex somewhat. I've done several of these over the years and they all have held up rather well. I used a six sided plate instead of a rectangle plate. I've seen welds fail time after time over the years if someone welds a rectangle plate all the way around. I've used diamond shape plates in the past as well. All of them work as long as you do it the proper way. Thanks for the weld comment by the way. It's what I do fr a living. I wish I had brought along my wire brush though. The welds needed a good brushing.

Scott

Good looking job all round. The truck/trailer frames I've cut I cut at an angle more acute than 45* to distribute the stress and maintain flexibility. I make the fish plates long diamonds to maintain flex as well. I've only done a few and that's how I was shown but no failures in the splices. KNOCK ON WOOD!!

Frosty The Lucky.

Thank you

There's several ways of doing them. This one had some frame damage as well. At some point a large section of it had been punched with grapple at the mill when being unloaded.

Good Job Scott , I just did not see any plate added ,yet i know you only showed a few shots . I have used an Octagon plate before many folks have never seen them or heard of them for frame work . However it does take the stress out of the main weld and gives better support from cracking . as for a wire brush I use one on a 4 1/2 grinder It is easier on my grip that i do not have anymore . 

Sam