I Forge Iron

Santoku. WIP

Zanshin

Hi everybody,
My wife always use to say that the Romans left a great number of unfinished projects, when she look at the ruins of the Roman Empire. She is funny. But I am starting to think that she is right: another WIP (and I haven't finished the other one yet!)... Anyways, in the meanwhile that I find some material to finish the other one, I keep my hands occupied making a kitchen knife since the ones I have here are horrible!

The steel is Inox MA5M and the handle material is Zebu horn, flattened to the shape desired and then worked with rasp and file. Bone bolster and butt cap. The handle is almost finished, the blade is just "file ground" only on one side. A lot of sweat!!! Next side next days.

Here it is:

post-40283-0-89882900-1368569047_thumb.j

post-40283-0-00739100-1368569086_thumb.j

post-40283-0-14630300-1368569128_thumb.j

post-40283-0-90822100-1368569163_thumb.j

I really like the way a santoku works in the kitchen. I'm looking forward to seeing how yours works out.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hi Frosty
I like the geometry of santoku knives, they work gently and precisely. I cannot wait to take the first slice...

Thank you Sam, I thought to modify the shape of the traditional japanese handle, which is often hexagonal or octagonal, and it cam ot lime this. It fits pretty good in my hand and it doesn't move, the corners provide a good grip...
Yesterday I filed the second bevel, now I just need a little polishing and HT. I need to find a place to have it HTed since it's Inox and I don't have a kiln...