I Forge Iron

Welding bench/Platen Table

Just completed this welding bench, had the idea for a few years, the top is entirely 3x3 angle iron joined at one end by a length of 3.5x6  heavy angle.  The great amount of steel in vertical make it extremly rigid and not prone to warp with heat, also the angle are back to back and face to face with a 1" gap like having a bunch of T slots, allowing me to clamp though the top almost anywere, I will probably weld in a series of hardy holes in the 3" deep slots to accomidate stakes and more fixtures, making it function like a an improvised platen table.  As it is all used and scrounged material I have $20 to $30 in the project and a days work, its not nearly as ugly up close as it looks in the photo with sandblast and paint it would be great. I have already used it to build a project and I would bet it will save me the time it took to build very quickly.  I think this turned out to be a great option over a pricey big piece of plate steel and angle iron is a lot easier to find for cheap.

post-1781-0-25346200-1368420019_thumb.jp

Good on ya! Looks don't count nearly as much as function and being salvaged materials makes it very blacksmith traditional. I'm also very much in favor of putting my time on the front end. Usually saves time, money and work and I'm a BIG fan of not having to work as harder than I have to.

Frosty The Lucky.

I'd put it straight to work and forget about sandblasting or paint.  Looks great to me!  My forge frame/welding table was built from heat twisted angle iron from a demo'd fire pit.  Ugly as can be and I love it.  I even put pink roller skate wheels on which were from my daughter's old skates.  Rock on!

Dan

post-34362-0-41601000-1368457065_thumb.j

Thanks for the positive feedback, I think this is going to stay in "patina" as a finish just like the my T shirt says, rust is a color, (and sandblasting sucks err  blows), nice wheels Dcraven, I have roller blade wheels under my gas forge and even under a 15" planer, they have great bearings and I keep finding them cheap at garage sales, way better than low quality casters for my rough shop floor.

Great job on the table's. I have a small one that was going to be hauled for scrap and I was like HMMMMMMM sell me that for scrap price. I got it for free just by asking.

I have a lot of scrap I use from time to time on projects. I've always tried to reuse what I come across. I had a job in a fab shop from 1990-1994 and was given the scrap. I still have some of it to this day and at the time I didn't even own a welder or torch. I knew I would use it at some point in my life and have over and over.

Scott

Actually I like rust and several designers have asked for a rust finish on many pieces of wrought iron I have made.  If you buy a piece of 1-1/2" x 1- 1/2" 1/4" wall steel tubing 20' long the inside is exactly 1" square and 1" hardy hole pieces can be sawn from it. these can be welded to any stout table and are a fine addition that you will appreciate . with the remainder of the tubing a swinging boom can be made to turn on a 1" round bar piece, and will be able to assist your heavy lifts. Here in Baton Rouge Capitol Steel quotes $68. for one piece.