I Forge Iron

Another Ball Bearing Skinner

I think I'm finally getting the hang of these.  A good anvil and a 10lb sledge works wonders for drawing this stuff out.  Now I've got to work out getting the finished product better. 

On a side note, I've just about finished a project anvil made from forklift forks.  Hopefullly I will get it finished and post some pics.  But first I will be doing a demo this coming weekend.  Hopefullly the weather will be nice.

fc1075ea-8801-4c6e-8e07-861e3ee41bf5.jpg

Did you make it from the spheres or from the rims? I love ball bearing steel because it's abrasion resistant and it keeps the edge sharp for long time. The downside is that is more difficult to finish. You did very good, I like the deer handle!!!

Well, first you have to catch them.  Don't let 'em fool ya, they are quick little boogers.  Then you have to starve them a little to loosen up the hyde.  Then cook 'em a little ad whack 'em with a 10lb sledge.  The skin pops right off.  Pressure cook the innards till tender, surve with greens and coolaid. ;)

Nicely done, that's impressive!  I'd be interested to see what the tongs look like that you use at the beginning.  What type of steel is in a ball bearing and how large is the bearing before you squeesh out it's poor little guts?